F4 E Navigation Computer Set

Find out more before you buy, or chat to other F-4 pilots!
(No support requests please)
rnurse.bc
F4 E Navigation Computer Set

Post by rnurse.bc » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:07 pm

Hi there,

I am getting very in-depth in analysis of the F4E Phantom II to do a good review, and I have arrived at the AN/ASN-46A Navigation Computer Set.
There are 2 Targets you can set up to have Nav guidance to the Target 1 and 2 waypoints seen on the HSI. Here are the instructions I used to set up the Navigation Computer:
1) Place function switch to STBY.
2) Set magnetic variation counter or local magnetic variation
3( Set wind from and wind speed counters to true wind direction and wind seen that affects the flight, to facilitate operation in the air data if necessary
4) Place position update switch to NORMAL
5) Set the local latitude and longitude in the present counters
6) Set target counters to the target 2 latitude and longitude ordinates (if an alternate target or destination is desired).
7) Place the function sector knob to RESET. Target 2 ordinates will be memorized and stored in the computer.
8) Place the function sector knob to STBY.
9) Set target counters to the Target 1 latitude and longitude
10) When aircraft leaves starting point, place function selector knob to desired operating mode.

Ok, so I did all of this, and followed the INS alignments procedure, and the INS was properly aligned. I set the function selector to Trgt2, and set the data source on the main panel to NAV COMP.

The HSI then showed direction to and distance from the point I had selected in Target 2.

However, when I took off and flew the direction stated by the HSI, I would reach to direction, but then the HSI would bob to a different heading, like just loosely finds another heading. I try following that one, and then it bobs back to the Target 2 heading, and so on, again and again.
I then notice that when I am heading toward target 2, the distance counter, which was originally 122 nm's, starts increasing, not decreasing.

Can you explain what i'm doing wrong?

JonathanBleeker
Re: F4 E Navigation Computer Set

Post by JonathanBleeker » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:51 pm

Once the INS has aligned, keep the nav comp in tgt1 mode or greater. Putting it into standby will stop the INS from updating your position.

rnurse.bc

Post by rnurse.bc » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:31 pm

Where is the VOR/ILS Control Panel in the Milviz F4E Phantom II?

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:44 am

Our model doesn’t have ILS. Only TACAN.

Return to “McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II General Phorum”