Radar lock question [Answered]

Find out more before you buy, or chat to other F-4 pilots!
(No support requests please)
brettt777
Radar lock question [Answered]

Post by brettt777 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:33 am

So I got my F-4S in the air finally and I was trying out the AA radar. I thought that when you slew the cursor over the target, you're suppose do a half action, then a full action... or something like that. But when I press those buttons, nothing happens. So I slewed over the target and then pressed RADAR LOCK, and it locked into a boresight on the target. But it obviously needs something more than that. What else do I need to do to get a radar lock on a target? One thing I thought about later... don't know if it has any bearing on this issue. I did not have any weapons on board the aircraft at that time, so I didn't have an AIM-7 or AIM-9 activated. Could that have something to do with it?
This is the F-4J/S Advanced flying in P3D V4.5 with Tacpack.

JonathanBleeker
Re: Radar lock question

Post by JonathanBleeker » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:41 am

When you do the first half action trigger, you need to slew the range strobe (using the same range control as the cursor) onto the target and go full action. You will see the range strobe moving when you use the cursor controls, so that should help you identify it.

brettt777
Re: Radar lock question

Post by brettt777 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:13 pm

JonathanBleeker wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:41 am
When you do the first half action trigger, you need to slew the range strobe (using the same range control as the cursor) onto the target and go full action. You will see the range strobe moving when you use the cursor controls, so that should help you identify it.
Okay, thanks for that. Now I can get an actual radar lock. But I'm not able to fire a radar missile. I have the Sparrows turned on and selected and I have a READY annunciator. I wait for the target to get down between the min and max range marks but I don't get a SHOOT annunciator and nothing happens when I pull the trigger.
Question; where is the MASTER ARM switch in the F-4J/S model? I can't find it and maybe that's why I can't fire a Sparrow. I have not tried a Sidewinder.
Question; is there anywhere in any of the manuals that tells me what all the missile annunciators mean? This would be a big help if I knew what the system was telling me.
I love Milviz products but I gotta say that from what I've seen, the manuals are severely lacking info, especially when it comes to the weapons system. This is a very complicated aircraft. I could use a little more instruction. But maybe I'm just not looking in the right place...?

Return to “McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II General Phorum”