Why are the FM's so different?

Find out more before you buy, or chat to other F-4 pilots!
(No support requests please)
brettt777
Why are the FM's so different?

Post by brettt777 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:23 am

I've had the F-4E TP version for a while now and I think it has an excellent flight model. I recently purchased the F-4J/S Advanced so I could have it in P3D as well. The first thing I noticed is that the flight model for the J/S is MUCH different than the E. Why are the flight models so different? They're pretty much the same airframe, they should fly pretty much the same.
My "E" model is not the Advanced version so I only have it FSX right now and it flies great. I have the J/S in P3D version 4.5 and it's a Hand full all the time. I also installed it in FSX and it flies the exact same way as it does in P3D. It's like the joystick inputs are way too sensitive. I barely move the stick in the X axis and I get almost full aileron deflection. The "E" model is not like that at all. I realize the J/S is the Advanced version, but it's still pretty much the same airframe as the "E" so it should fly the same, shouldn't it?
BTW, I had the exact same load out on both planes.

Slayer
Re: Why are the FM's so different?

Post by Slayer » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:05 pm

The E was a lot simpler flight model than the successive product releases. All Milviz ADV aircraft are quite a bit more advanced and the realism is study level.

Have you tried adjusting your sensitivities down? Maybe use something like FSUIPC so you can have a different profile for each version.

I'm pretty sure that the E ADV will fly a lot closer to the J/S (IE harder)

Return to “McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II General Phorum”