More F-4J/S weapons system questions

Find out more before you buy, or chat to other F-4 pilots!
(No support requests please)
brettt777
More F-4J/S weapons system questions

Post by brettt777 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:33 am

Okay, I'm slowly getting the hang of this but I still have a few questions, mostly about the J/S model.

1) I can get the sidewinder to work in the E model and I just realized this evening that the E model has an on board cannon, and I can get that to work also. But I can never get the sparrows to work. I get a radar lock and it tracks the target. I keep the dot inside the ASE circle and the range blip goes down inside the min/max markers... then nothing happens. I never get a SHOOT annunciator like I get with the sidewinders. What am I missing One thing I noticed this evening was that when I have the MASTER ARM on, I get an annunciator for the HEAT missile and the GUN, but I don't get the RADAR missile annunciator unless the master arm is turned off. Not sure what that's all about.
2) I can't get anything to fire on the J/S model. I get a target lock and radar tracking. I have either sidewinder or sparrow selected and have the appropriate annunciator and the READY annunciator. But when the target tracks down, nothing happens. I'm not real sure on the missile control panel switchology so that might be part of the problem.
3) Is there any kind of documentation anywhere that tells us what the missile status annunciators all mean? That would be a huge help.
4) What does the AIR TO AIR function do that is set up in the MVAMS?
5) What does the PADLOCK function do?
6) What does the CAGE function do?
7) What does the RADAR LOCK function do?
8) What does the CAGED lever on the left side of the pilots radar display do?
9) Can the radar range be changed in the front cockpit? If not, is there a way it can be mapped to buttons on my joystick?

I think that's about it for now. If I could get some of these answered, then maybe I could actually figure out how to make this thing work.

JonathanBleeker
Re: More F-4J/S weapons system questions

Post by JonathanBleeker » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:57 pm

https://milviz.com/Online_products/Manu ... _Guide.pdf

Did you set up all weapon related keys in MVAMS like the missile selection? Also remember that firing A-A missiles is done with the TACPACK trigger, not the pickle button (See TACPACK manager control setup).

brettt777

Post by brettt777 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:07 am

JonathanBleeker wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:57 pm
https://milviz.com/Online_products/Manu ... _Guide.pdf

Did you set up all weapon related keys in MVAMS like the missile selection? Also remember that firing A-A missiles is done with the TACPACK trigger, not the pickle button (See TACPACK manager control setup).
Yes, and yes I know this.

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:22 pm

The above linked manual should answer most of those questions, as for #9, only MVAMS controls can be used from the front cockpit. Anything involving the panel on the rear's left console requires switching views.

Return to “McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II General Phorum”