Any tips on VOR navigation?

Find out more before you buy, or chat to other F-4 pilots!
(No support requests please)
sdflyer
Any tips on VOR navigation?

Post by sdflyer » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:47 pm

Hi,
Just wondering what setting should be done in the cockpit to fly VOR navigation other than select an appropriate TACAN channel?

Thanks

JonathanBleeker
Re: Any tips on VOR navigation?

Post by JonathanBleeker » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:07 pm

Do you mean hand fly? Or do you mean on autopilot? The autopilot is not capable of tracking a VOR/TACAN course.

For indications on the HSI and flight director on the ADI, set the knob and switch that is just to the right of the HSI to their TCN positions.

sdflyer

Post by sdflyer » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:37 pm

Yes I meant hand flying, thanks.
Also there is NAVIGATION menu where you can select flight plan waypoints. How do you use that?

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:55 pm

1: Load a FSX flightplan into the sim
2: Go to the Addons menu->Milviz F-4 Phantom II, select the flight plan menu and it will give you a list of the flightplan waypoints as well as show the active waypoint. Simply select the active one you want from the list, and set the nav computer in the rear cockpit to TGT 2 and it will work.

sdflyer

Post by sdflyer » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:01 pm

Wow thanks! That sounds good because I was a bit lost LOL

sdflyer

Post by sdflyer » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:23 pm

I tried it but it doesn't seems like working . HSI needle just follow my aircraft heading, and does't point to the selected waypoint via Milviz menu.
Does NAV COMP has to be selected to NAV COMP?

P.S. TACAN sems like working fine, but doesn't seem show correct DME on outbound radial heading

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:00 am

The CDI needle won't direct you to the waypoint. You must use the bearing pointer instead (the small arrow on the edge of the HSI) and the heading bug (it indicates command heading if you have the navigation controls set right).

sdflyer

Post by sdflyer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:28 pm

Yes I understand that HSI is not RMI. I set course and I expect CDI needle to deflect left or right but CDI middle just travels along with any heading. When I select waypoint via menu do I need to enter LAT/LON coordinates of this waypoint as well?

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:43 pm

Ok just to clarify, what navigation mode are we talking about here? NAV COMP (both the switch and knob), the indications are as follows:

CDI arrow: Indicates your ground track
CDI needle: Always centered. Course knob will not have an effect. This is in accordance with the manuals as far as I recall
Bearing pointer(the small arrow on the outer edge of the HSI): Indicates your bearing to the waypoint
Heading bug: Command heading. Tells you what heading to fly to get to the waypoint adjusting for ground track differences due to crosstrack winds.

TCN Mode:
CDI arrow: Indicates selected course
CDI needle: Indicates the course deviation
Bearing pointer: Indicates your bearing to the TACAN
Heading bug: Must be set to the same position as the Course selector in order for accurate bank steering indications on the ADI.

Hangar200

Post by Hangar200 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:53 pm

OK, I'm with you…so what is the course knob for? :)

That said, I have RTFM's that you all produced–and they are most excellent–I haven't tackled the Air Force manual or Navy NATOPS yet, so if it is in there…

Edit: OK, I figured it out - tune a TACAN channel, set the Nav Comp controls to TACAN - the pointer points to the TACAN and then you can set the course needle. It is not automatic - you have to fly the jet to line every thing up - but it is very cool and realistic.
Last edited by Hangar200 on Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:45 am

Course knob is for TCN mode only.

Hangar200

Post by Hangar200 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:20 pm

JonathanBleeker wrote:Course knob is for TCN mode only.
Copy that. My understanding is that the course needle on the artificial horizon gauge is tied to the heading knob when in TACAN or manual mode - tied to the NAV computer when that is selected - once I saw how that worked everything became clear. :)

Caribpilot

Post by Caribpilot » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:58 am

Might be a good idea to have a video just on how to navigate using TCN and FSX flightplans.

Return to “McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II General Phorum”