Trim moving on it's own when turning on battery

Find out more before you buy, or chat to other MD 530 pilots!
(No support requests please)
bobsk8
Trim moving on it's own when turning on battery

Post by bobsk8 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:58 pm

This is an FYI, if you ever run into this issue which had me going for awhile. I would start up the 530F by switching on the battery power among other things, and when I hit the battery switch I would see the cyclic jump all the way to the rear, as far as it would go. This would happen as soon as I hit the battery switch. I found that once I started the engine, I could press down trim, and hold it, and eventually the cyclic would start to move towards the front of the cockpit, and then it would move normally from then on. If I didn't do that, and tried to lift off, the copter would immediately start going backwards at top speed. This didn't happen every time, but enough times to make it annoying. I reasoned that something was causing the trim to go fully in the nose up position when I turned the battery power on.

Now I am using FSUIPC for trim on the 530F and the 407 ao the first thing I did was check the switch buttons on my Thrustmaster T 16000M for the proper settings for elevator trim up and trim down, using two of the joystick buttons, and they were correct. I am using the Saitek Throttle quadrant with it's three levers for Collective, Throttle and mixture. On that controller, if you pull the handles all the way back, there is a switch position that allows you to set up reverse thrust for instance, for a jet aircraft. When I would start the 530, I would pull all three levers to their most rearward position prior to turning on the battery switch, and hitting the start button. I decided to go into FSUIPC and see what happens when I pull these levers to the rearmost position, one at a time. When I pulled the lever I was using for Throttle all the way back so that the switch in the controller closed, FSUIPC said that it was set to elevator trim up and not only that, but also continuous as long as the switch was closed. So by closing the throttle all the way to the rear prior to start, I was forcing the trim to go full nose up when I turned on battery power, and the cyclic would move all the way back towards the seat. All I had to do was disable that action for that lever in FSUIPC, and the problem is solved.

JonathanBleeker
Re: Trim moving on it's own when turning on battery

Post by JonathanBleeker » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:49 am

Good find. Thanks for that.

Return to “MD530 General Forum”