Airspeed indication jumping

butchkravitz
Airspeed indication jumping

Post by butchkravitz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:39 pm

Working through fine-tuning my control and graphics settings, and have found a couple more issues:
- indicated airspeed is "jumping". Moves normally in flight, but every second or few, it "skips" up or down 5-ish knots. very frustrating, WTH?
- rudder sensitivity seems way off. I have null zone at about 10, sensitivity at 20, but the ball still seems to move faster than what inertia allows IRL

I've experimented with various graphics settings to see if any of that might be causing problems. Graphics set at "unlimited", but FPS counter stays right at 29-30 FPS.

I've experimented with Realism settings at Medium and Full, can't really tell any difference. What should I see between those two?

Thanks in advance for some help -

Slayer
Re: Airspeed indication jumping

Post by Slayer » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:30 pm

I've seen this behavior when using Activesky, I believe it happens as it is injecting winds etc. Try a flight without it and see if changes anything.

butchkravitz

Post by butchkravitz » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:03 pm

Thank you, Steve -

I suspected Active Sky might be an issue, so running without it was one of my first troubleshooting steps - did not make any difference.

I've also asked a different, but related question a couple of times here: what's the difference between Medium and Full Realism, really? I've read in other forums that the "Medium" setting is actually a better, more accurate flight model in P3D V4.5. I've flown with both, switching back and forth, and honestly I can't tell any difference.

I'm posting some control settings shortly in my other post on here.

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:05 pm

As far as our aircraft is concerned there is very little difference as a lot of it is custom coded. I've asked before in other forums as it is more a P3D setting question than an addon aircraft setting and never really received anything more than a vague response. The P3D manual doesn't really elaborate much either.

Regarding your airspeed question, does it happen if you select calm conditions for your weather or have you not tried?

butchkravitz

Post by butchkravitz » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:38 pm

Thanks again, Steve - I appreciate your continued attention and assistance.

I'll keep the Realism setting on "Medium" for now, 1) because the only thing I've read about the topic anywhere in a forum (whether true or not) states that setting actually provides the most accurate flight model; and, 2) because I'm new to flying helicopters, anyway.

I am concerned that there is indeed an issue with ActiveSky. I have the version (7410) specifically for P3D V4. Often, it starts up and runs OK for a few moments (I can see that it downloads the latest weather for my location, KLIT, and the update text scroller onscreen within P3D), but then it just quits with the Windows error message, "ActiveSky has stopped working", etc. I've done the troubleshooting steps they recommend, notably making sure the Firewall ports are open so that it can download the real-world weather properly.

Suggestions?

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:07 pm

Sorry I can't offer much assistance on the activesky issue. May have better luck in their beta forums on that.

butchkravitz

Post by butchkravitz » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:58 pm

Steve - that's going to put me in the middle of MilViz and ActiveSky to try and find the resolution -

Because your add-on is the only aircraft in which ActiveSky stops working, of course they're going to say it's your problem, not theirs..

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:47 pm

If you are lucky enough to get a message that it stopped working, it should generate a crash log and have a log in Windows event viewer that can help them diagnose the cause of the crash.

Since our programmers have no access to their code there is not much I can do. In the event that their trace does point to one of our modules I can forward this on to one of our programmers to work with them to find a solution.

Sorry it's not what you want to hear..

As a side note: We had a similar situation with Chaseplane and 3 people telling me it HAD to be our aircraft because it never crashed until they used the KA with Chaseplane. Guess where the bug was...Chaseplane. Needless to say we have and do work with others to resolve these types of issues but in this case the first step will need to be taken by them.

butchkravitz

Post by butchkravitz » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:40 pm

Thanks again, Steve -

The problem continued to be intermittent, so I sent a log to the HiFi (ActiveSky) support guys, and here's their reply, FYI:

----
Hello Richard,
P3D base installation no longer includes the legacy SP2 simconnect interface which seems to be missing or corrupt on your system according to your session log.
You will need to install/reinstall the SP2 simconnect client from your installation here: [P3Dv4 folder]\redist\Interface\FSX-SP2-XPACK\retail\lib\SimConnect.msi
Let me know if this helps.
Thank You!
HiFi Support
------

I did that, and it seems to help so far - but again, the problem was intermittent, so I can't pronounce it completely "fixed" yet..

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:53 pm

Glad you are sorted. If it crops up again feel free to post again in this thread.

butchkravitz

Post by butchkravitz » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:17 pm

I am still having trouble from time to time, but it's still intermittent. I.e., I go through the same startup sequence and it either works, or not. Usually, if it doesn't work the first try, I close out P3D, then re-start AS, and re-start P3D with both a default aircraft AND location, give some time, and it's OK.

One thing I didn't ask about previously, when I first startup and get the Scenario splash screen to confirm vehicle, location, time, and weather, one of the options for weather is "ActiveSky weather scheme". I wonder if it matters whether that must be set to use AS or not? I.e., seems like that no matter where it's set, AS should download and use the "real" weather.

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:31 pm

AFAIK that is just for fixed weather , if you use live weather it injects regardless of what you have there.

Return to “MD530 Support Forum”