Beams correctly implemented?

Find out more before you buy, or chat to other Bobcat pilots!
(No support requests please)
qqwertzde
Beams correctly implemented?

Post by qqwertzde » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:52 pm

Hi,

I purchased this little gem recently during the Milviz sale and enjoy the Bobcat very much. However, when I tried to use the LFR navigation system on a flight near Whitehorse it just didn't work the way I expected. For instance, according to the .kmz file, station Teslin should have a beam that points directly towards Whitehorse, but there simply was no such beam. After some more research it appears to me that the beams in that area are all off by about 30 degrees, which corresponds to the magnetic variation in that region. Could it be that the beams are oriented according to magnetic North rather than true North?

Thanks and best regards,
Peter

Edit: another question: do I correctly understand that in the .kmz file, the grey side of a beam corresponds to A and the black side to N?

Dutch
Re: Beams correctly implemented?

Post by Dutch » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:07 am

Hi Peter,

As far as I know LFR beams are always aligned on magnetic headings. There could be some exceptions for far north airports like Whitehorse...that would make some sense. I will be looking into it.

As far as the KMZ depiction, I'm not sure as I believe that was a product of the maker of that independent site.

Dutch

qqwertzde
Re: Beams correctly implemented?

Post by qqwertzde » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:22 pm

I have modified the data myself and it appears to work. Attached you may find a revised version of thew file Ranger.cfg in the panel subdirectory, where I have changed the beam data by adding the magnetic variation of a station. Rename the existing file to Ranger.cfg.original, copy the attached file into the subdirectory and rename it to Ranger.cfg, that's all.

Peter

P.S.: the file Ranger.zip is not a zip file, it is just a text file which should have the name Ranger.cfg. However, the forum software only allowed me to attach a file with .zip extension :roll:
Attachments
Ranger.zip
(23.38 KiB) Downloaded 206 times

Return to “Bobcat General Forum”