Night Cockpit Lighting Inop

blockwood
Night Cockpit Lighting Inop

Post by blockwood » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:24 am

I was not able to get any lighting in the cockpit at night. Landing lights and the other external lights are OK.
The cockpit light switch was on, and any illumination dials were full CW.

I am running Prepar3D 3.4.14.18879

N4GIX
Re: Night Cockpit Lighting Inop

Post by N4GIX » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:32 am

Bill, right-click on your desktop icon and choose "Run as Administrator"...

blockwood

Post by blockwood » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:49 pm

I always run as administrator.

I did not find any [Lights] section in my aircraft.cfg file.

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:41 pm

blockwood wrote:I always run as administrator.

I did not find any [Lights] section in my aircraft.cfg file.
That is because that section is not used. We have a custom lighting system that runs outside the simulator. When you load the Bobcat you should see the little "blue circle" briefly while the system loads.

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:11 pm

You aren't running the Estonia migration tool I hope. Is there a FSX.exe in the task manager list along with your Prepar3D.exe?

One other possibility: Go to your P3D directory\redist\Interface\FSX-SP2-XPACK\retail\lib and run the SimConnect.msi found there.

blockwood

Post by blockwood » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:04 pm

Lighting fixed. There was a FSX application wandering around in the task manager.
How it got there I'll never know, as I run Prepar3D just about exclusively.
Anyway, all is well and I've flying Radio Range routes and approaches all over the place.
Every now and then I have to take a break, but my Morse Code is slowly coming back to me.

Krazycolin
Site Admin

Post by Krazycolin » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:35 pm

Estonia

CRANKPIN

Post by CRANKPIN » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:21 pm

Could someone help me understand a bit more about this. Not the Estonia bit - I think I understand that.
I run vanilla FSX Gold (Boxed) in Win10 x64 with a dedicated SSD for FSX and nothing else that AV is forbidden to even look at ever. I am the sole User and Administrator of the machine. I have never had a permissions issue installing or running anything FS on this machine in the 2 or so years I've had it.

So, yes my Cabin lights and instrument panel lights (that little brightness dial is sooo cool) didn't seem to work. Cause I'm old, I 'know' I'm missing something, some switch, something with the battery or power bus or whatever, it'll be my fault. Then I see this thread - and for the hell of it I right click on the FSX desktop icon and go Run as Administrator (something I never do, as I don't have to, or never have had to) load up a Bobcat at night and holy sh*t it worked, lights.

So, two things. Whats different between being the Administrator and running something, and 'Run as Administrator ?
And two, is there anything else other than the cabin lights that won't work, anything else that runs outside FSX, that requires the 'Run as Administrator'.

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:35 am

Windows is funny. Your user account may be an admin, but even then your permissions are still somewhat limited, especially when it comes to one program starting another procedurally. To do that, it must be run with the highest admin level privileges which is something only you can enable for security purposes, otherwise your machine could be hijacked if programs could automatically make themselves run as top admin.

Return to “Bobcat Support Forum”