Prop pitch control

sunjunkiesi
Prop pitch control

Post by sunjunkiesi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:29 am

Hi all

First time poster, just bought the T-50 in the sale. I am having trouble with the prop pitch, and wondered if anyone else was having similar problems? No matter how slowly and carefully I reduce the pitch control after takeoff, the plane eventually lurches and the RPM suddenly drops off and picks up, followed by an oscillation until the RPM settles at a new figure that may or may not be what I was looking for. Is this normal for a plane like this, or am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

Si

Raptor
Re: Prop pitch control

Post by Raptor » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:04 pm

Are you using any hardware levers? FSUIPC? Also, please tell us what sim and Operating System.

I have the Saitek Yoke and Throttle Quadrant and have seen that happen but in my case that means I have to clean the potentiometers in my Saitek hardware

sunjunkiesi

Post by sunjunkiesi » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:16 pm

Thanks Raptor

I am using a saitek x55 through FSUIPC, but that's largely irrelevant as it is not something that affects any other aircraft I fly, it is purely the t-50. It isn't a control spike as everything checks out perfectly in FSUIPC, and besides, as I say, its not a problem with any other aircraft.

I am pretty confident it is something to do with the way I am flying it, so I was looking for some advice on how to reduce the RPM without causing the engines to lurch.

All the best

Si

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:45 pm

In what order are you adjusting power/pitch? For reducing power, it should be power->pitch->mixture. For increasing, reverse the order.

sunjunkiesi

Post by sunjunkiesi » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:37 pm

Thanks Jonathan

Yes that is the process I use. I will try and capture something with a video to try and show what it is, it isn't something I have encountered with other aircraft before.

Best wishes

Si

alehead

Post by alehead » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:35 am

I have noticed this as well on my system. I also map everything through FSUIPC (each aircraft individually) and use a Warthog HOTAS, Virtualfly TQ6 throttle, and a set of MFG Crosswind pedals...

A

bbobb

Post by bbobb » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:21 pm

I'm using a simple Saitek stick NOT mapped through FSUIPC and I also find the prop pitch to be sensitive.

sunjunkiesi

Post by sunjunkiesi » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:15 am

Hi all

So I am not very good at videos as it turns out, so I can't really show you what I mean. Does anyone else with this problem have the skills?

alehead

Post by alehead » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:15 pm

I need to ask a question, as I cannot test it from my office right now. Maybe someone else can and get back to me.
The prop levers need to be fully back at fixed high pitch to start. I probably didn't do this the last time.

Could someone see if the prop governor works more smoothly if the engines are started with the props in fixed high pitch?

A

alehead

Post by alehead » Fri May 05, 2017 8:56 pm

Is there any feedback on this so far?

A

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX » Fri May 05, 2017 9:21 pm

alehead wrote:Is there any feedback on this so far?
It's been a long time since I scripted the T-50, but yes the prop needles are a bit sensitive. I suspect that the flight dynamics are the proximate cause since the identical gauge scripts for prop rpm in other aircraft are not so squirrely. Possibly adding a <Lag> to dampen the needles' movement might help, but I suspect that some precision might be lost...

sunjunkiesi

Post by sunjunkiesi » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:32 am

OK thanks Bill. I am still a bit put off flying this aircraft because of the prop controls, so if there is an update at some point that deals with it 'd be very happy. The aircraft is gorgeous and just sitting there in my hangar at the moment....

tailspin45

Post by tailspin45 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:04 pm

A bit late to the party, but yes, I have the same problem. Tried changing the slope of the control, too.

I have hundreds of real life hours behind that powerplant in an other aircraft, even a few in the UC-78, and this Milviz rendition is unrealistically sensitive.

Which is not to say that the aircraft isn't otherwise quite good. The sound is quite good and the ground handling is authentic. Pay attention or you'll be in the weeds.

sunjunkiesi

Post by sunjunkiesi » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:54 pm

Hi guys

So the bobcat has sat in my hanger now for over a year, and I thought I would take it out for a spin again. Sad to say I lasted until I touched the prop levers and I bucked and yawed about the place as I reduced engine rpm and decided that it was just as bad as I remembered. Is there any chance of some love for this (otherwise) lovely aircraft???

Si

jspa6m5

Post by jspa6m5 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:12 pm

I have to admit that although I have rightly heaped the greatest of praise upon Milviz for this wonderful aircraft, I too have the problem. IT is the only issue I have with it. I did experiment for the best part of an entire evening mucking with control configurations and even allocating the prop RPM to keyboard keys and adjusting massively downwards the Windows keyboard repeat speed (which in turn dramatically slows down the speed of the prop levers in FSX but then also makes the lever position "jump" in very tiny increments). Bottom line is the only way I think this can be avoided is with very tiny and slow movements of the prop levers. I mean REALLY slow. For what it is worth though, the problem is really only bad when you are reducing RPM, not bringing it back up again for final approach or after engine run-ups, etc.

Closest I got to "success" was to allocate keyboard keys to the function and massively turn down the windows repeat slider as described above but it is such a band-aid type of solution I am just living with it "as is".

I should state that unfortunately I am using a game controller anyway pending access to my retirement funds upon which I will be getting some high end peripherals (Virtual Fly) however evne when I allocate the function to an actual axis I do still have the issue.

I have the Beaver as well and it works flawlessly in that.

This is my only reservation about this wonderful plane but that said, it still hugely praiseworthy. But I think if there was some obvious reason for this happening, the answer would have been found by now and implemented. Meanwhile I will experiment with joystick programs to see if I can attain a very smooth but extremely slow action (which is what I have with the Beaver "as is" out of the box).

Bottom line is I expect when I finally get a proper high end Quadrant the problem will be much less, however it is still noteworthy that of all the aircraft I have flown in FSX over many years, this is the only one where I can recall this issue.

Return to “Bobcat Support Forum”