Two technical questions ADF & OBI

Find out more before you buy, or chat to other Beaver pilots!
(No support requests please)
VetteDrvr
Two technical questions ADF & OBI

Post by VetteDrvr » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:45 pm

First, Colin, please do not be nice to me, I've spent enough on your company, and plan on buying many more.
And yes, I have read every last word of the manual in intimate and great detail, twice.
Osh told me the manual needs revising.

1. What is wrong with the ADF controls? If I use my mouse's scroll wheel on the inner or outer knob, no matter which direction I scroll, forward or backwards, the frequency only ones in one direction? It takes forever to set an ADF freq.

2. The OBI. I use the GTN750, when I select a direct to, the GTN will flash and tell me to set the heading on the OBI so I dutifully rotate it to the correct heading. But in a little while, I don't know how long exactly, the OBI will somehow rotate back to the current compass heading, the GTN will be flashing telling me to set the OBI.

Thank you for your kind replies.

StearmanDriver
Re: Two technical questions ADF & OBI

Post by StearmanDriver » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:03 am

I've found weird behavior with both these things as well, though the OBS is a little different for me:

1. Same.

2. I use the standard Milviz 530/430 stack, and direct-to works fine on GPS, as does loading a flight plan. But it's odd that when the selector on the 530 is set to "GPS", the nav head still only indicates whatever VOR is tuned in, and not the GPS crs. This makes it more difficult to follow a GPS course while hand flying, since you can't see the GPSs very well from the left seat. Would sure be nice to be able to follow the needle on the Nav head. Also, there appears to be no "Off" flag on the navhead? Also maybe related - has anyone tried a coupled ILS? The one I tried, the autopilot failed to capture the localizer in "NAV" mode.

I do enjoy how smooth all the instruments are; it makes hand flying approaches a pleasure.

Return to “DHC-2 Beaver General Forum”