Skis and Snow/Ice

Find out more before you buy, or chat to other Beaver pilots!
(No support requests please)
Hangar200
Skis and Snow/Ice

Post by Hangar200 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:38 am

First, this is a fantastic aircraft! All the little features are awesome …I flew an entire flight making the engine backfire because at dusk/night the visual effect is so cool…probably not the best thing for the engine but definitely cool.

My question is about the ski version: Milviz has put some realism in so that you can't taxi around an asphalt ramp with the skis down. Also I noticed that with some ground textures that may have snow on them (winter) but are somewhat rough like farm fields, scrub, etc, landing with the skis down brings you to a pretty quick stop. I probably would have lost some teeth on the yoke…but I had the yoke hidden. ;)

That said, snow fields (I assume a grass texture in the winter) and ice (ORBX frozen lake) seem to give a fairly realistic landing slide - much better than the default Maule ski plane that practically ice skates.

However, once I stop, I can't seem to get started again. Even though I am on ice, full throttle, it won't move. So no way to take off from the ice without pulling the skis up.

Is that realistic or a bug? I seem to recall an "Ice Pilots" episode where they landed and took off a D.C.-3 on skis, so…?

Return to “DHC-2 Beaver General Forum”