Cold Weather Starting

Find out more before you buy, or chat to other Beaver pilots!
(No support requests please)
Danno
Cold Weather Starting

Post by Danno » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:28 pm

My first winter season with the new Beaver. Fresh fallen snow... touring the glaciers... mountain vistas. What a virtual world!

However... I'm now looking for engine starting advice when the air temp is low (~0c or lower). I am having no success despite following the MV checklist to the letter. Many times, I can get the engine to roll over and run for several moments but the oil pressure dies just before reaching 60psi. Pressure starts to climb (slowly) as soon as the engine starts but then... drops back to zero and konks out.

I'm using the cold cover and letting it sit for 5 or 10 min. No luck. I've even landed, shut down and tried re-starting. You'd think the engine would be warm and start easily but nope. I've even tried several uses of the primer from 'not used at all' to '5 or 6 pumps'. Usually, too much priming leads to a flooded engine. The clearing procedure for that works fine but then I'm back to my starting problems. It either cranks and cranks without starting. Or starts but loses oil pressure.

Ctrl-e works better but as a realist, that's not my style. Perhaps there's a trick I'm missing.

Merlin59
Re: Cold Weather Starting

Post by Merlin59 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:40 pm

I am flying in northern Alaska and the temps are right now at -19c. It starts just fine for me. I just follow the check list by the numbers. However immediately after take off I must use carb heat or it dies on me. Even through and after landing I have to leave carb heat on or it dies out. That probably doesn't help but it will start and run in extreme cold. I'm in Fort Yukon to do this by the way or PFYU. Good luck! Also give it enough time to warm up properly. More than usual.

Return to “DHC-2 Beaver General Forum”