Installing the Beaver outside the default P3Dv4 folder?

Find out more before you buy, or chat to other Beaver pilots!
(No support requests please)
madflyingdutchman
Installing the Beaver outside the default P3Dv4 folder?

Post by madflyingdutchman » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:22 am

I have P3Dv4 installed on a SSD with limited space, and therefore have my add-on's installed on a separate HDD, using the add-on.xml
method. This method also makes it easy to install any P3D updated without having to re-install the add-on's.

All installed just fine, except that I keep getting a sound file error that a snd1.wav file can not be found, Reason is that the file does not exist in the path the panel.cfg is looking. the file is in a separate folder in the specific beaver folder.

Has the Beaver not been update to where it can be installed outside the default folder, or is there a work-around?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Happy flying,

N4GIX
Re: Installing the Beaver outside the default P3Dv4 folder?

Post by N4GIX » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:24 pm

You can modify your panel.cfg file such that you provide the absolute path to where your aircraft's panel folder is installed. We cannot due this for customers because we have no way of knowing where the customer is going to install the aircraft.

Code: Select all

gauge07=D:\P3D\SimObjects\Airplanes\DHC-2 Beaver Milviz\panel\Milviz_Sound!FBGS_XMLSound,  0,0,1,1,SimObjects\\Airplanes\\DHC-2 Beaver Milviz\\DHC-2_XML_Sounds#55
Note how I've added D:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\DHC-2 Beaver Milviz\panel to replace the current ..\panel in the gauge call entry.

You will of course have to enter in your chosen absolute path to make this work. ;)

madflyingdutchman

Post by madflyingdutchman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:45 am

Thank you Bill. I will give that a try.

ahunterg95

Post by ahunterg95 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:36 am

@madflyingdutchman Thankyou for posting about this! @N4GIX I have been having the same issue also when installing outside the root folder.

My Panel CFG (excerpt) originally looked like this:

gauge07=..\panel\MV3DSound!MV3DS, 0,0,1,1,SimObjects\\Airplanes\\DHC-2 Beaver Milviz\\DHC-2_XML_Sounds#55

It now looks like this

gauge07=..C:\Users\Andrew\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Milviz\Beaver\SimObjects\Airplanes\DHC-2 Beaver Milviz\panel\MV3DSound!MV3DS, 0,0,1,1,SimObjects\\Airplanes\\DHC-2 Beaver Milviz\\DHC-2_XML_Sounds#55

Does that look about right? I seem to still be having issues with some sounds.

Best regards,

Andrew Hunter-Graham

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:56 pm

Get rid of the .. preceding C:

Code: Select all

gauge07=C:\Users\Andrew\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Milviz\Beaver\SimObjects\Airplanes\DHC-2 Beaver Milviz\panel\MV3DSound!MV3DS, 0,0,1,1,SimObjects\\Airplanes\\DHC-2 Beaver Milviz\\DHC-2_XML_Sounds#55

ahunterg95

Post by ahunterg95 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:47 pm

Thanks Bill, it has certainly fixed the error message and I removed those two ..'s before the C:

Some of the sounds that seem to be missing are the manual fuel line pressure lever, all switches and fuel tank selector... It seems the Flap lever and doors are audible... Between flicking the starter switch and the engine kicking in there seems to be a spooling up sound that doesn't come through but after that the engine and prop sounds fine.

Is this likely to be related?

Thanks again,

Andrew

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:32 pm

Andrew, if the error messages have stopped, that means that the auxiliary SNDnn.wav files are being found. Understand that there are two entirely separate sound systems. One is the default sounds from the simulator, the other are our custom sounds that operate outside of the sim's internal sound system.

I've never tried installing our products outside of the SimObjects\Airplane folder myself, so have no personal experience whatever. I only understand how our sound module works, and how to set the path(s) properly. ;)

ahunterg95

Post by ahunterg95 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:24 pm

No problems at all Bill,
I understand that the Milviz product line is yet to support Lockheed Martins innovative add-on installation outside of the root folder. As long as that is the case there will probably be small issues here and there and a demand for supporting it. For the most part, everything works great, just some missing sounds as far as I can tell.

I personally experienced a complete failure of my windows 10 several weeks ago. Installing outside the sim root is genius because everything apart from personal files and documents was removed. After installing other applications and P3D fresh, everything within in the root installation of P3D was obviously gone but the content in the (documents/P3D V4 add-ons/) was good to go straight away without the need to reinstall, big time saver, big relief, until I got to the add-ons that weren't supported :|

Return to “DHC-2 Beaver General Forum”