MilViz Newbie with Beaver DHC-2 Issues

tobinweb101
MilViz Newbie with Beaver DHC-2 Issues

Post by tobinweb101 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:54 pm

Hello to all readers of this postsing:

I recently purchased the MilViz/Blackbird Simulations DHC-2 Beaver for Prepar3D V4/FSX:SE – both the base pack and the expansion pack.
I am running it on a MSI Aegis RS Gaming Desktop with 11 Gen intel core i7-11700KF GeForce RTX 3070.

DHC-2 Base Pack Issues:

I have been flying using the base pack for about a week and really enjoy the plane; however, I have noticed the following issues when compared to watching You Tube videos of the same plane that if I could correct would add to the enjoyment of the Sim:

1. When flying the Manifold Pressure gauge remains a zero.
2. When flying the Cylinder Temperature gauge remains a zero.
3. I am unable to locate the fuel primary handle between the pilot’s seat and left door.; I've even open the pilot's door and zoomed in but cannot find the primer.
4. Also when I turn the fuel pump on for about 6 seconds, then hit the starter button, the plane does not start, though I can use Cntl E to fire it up.
5. I noticed there are no “pop outs” for this plane (and that may be the case). Should there be?
6. Finally, and most important, I am wondering if there is a video for FSX to show how to use the Milviz Addon Management System since I cannot figure how to used. I have followed the procedures outlined in the accompanying manual on using the System – aka setting up the various parameters using the four tabs, but for instance I haven’t been able to load up any passengers; add a cover, chocks; change the propeller from 2 to 3 blades – those kind of issues. At this point the only air aircraft I can select is the Beaver (as I don’t have any other MilViz planes).

Also, there is no In-Game Configuration in the Add-ons bar so I cannot select a plane and configured the aircraft is loaded in the simulator. The configurable options accessible in-game pertain to the passenger and/or cargo load, as well as a variety of visual options such as those relating to a cold and dark aircraft. The in-game menu that allows access to these options is found in the menu bar, under the menu option “Add-ons”, titled “DHC-2”.

DHC-2 Expansion Pack:

When I loaded up the expansion pack, the first thing it told me “Error opening file for execution > C\USER\Tom\AppsData\Local\MVAMS\MVAMS.exe.”
However it allows you to ignore this, which I did, then it loaded the program. However once loaded, when you go to select a plane, I get the following statement:

“MV-WX.dll incompatible with this sim.” Any way to fix either issue?

For now I uninstalled both programs and if nothing more, will reload the base program, which I know works.

Any suggestions regarding how to improve the base program and/or fixing the Expansion program would be appreciated.

Be advised I am not a technical person – just a flight simmer.

Also, if some of these issues are addressed in the Beaver Support Forum, please direct me to those responses.

Thanks,
Tobintom101

Slayer
Re: MilViz Newbie with Beaver DHC-2 Issues

Post by Slayer » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:59 pm

The gauge issue is either due to missing XMLTools , missing C++ redistributables or a corrupted DLL.XML.

http://milviz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... =10#p66058

for the redistributables links....you may have to google some if they are outdated. Missing these can also result in the WXR not working.

http://milviz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=7628

To check your dll.xml file for the proper section.

There is a separate installer available for XMLTOOLS:

https://milviz.sharepoint.com/:u:/s/Gen ... g?e=Btx0SX

If you run it and get errors you probably have a corrupted FSX or DLL.XML file.

tobinweb101

Post by tobinweb101 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:10 pm

Lots to absorb...thanks. I'll have to work on these items piecemeal as I am no tekkie.

Tom T.

tobinweb101

Post by tobinweb101 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:00 pm

Steve,

As a follow up to your email of 9/19, I will use the forum.

Recap: After I previously uninstalled and reinstalled the base pack and the expansion pack “as the Administrator,” I how have access to all Beaver planes -which is a good thing - and will work through your other remedies cited above to fix my program so gauges et cetera show up.

Regarding the MAVAMS app, I followed your suggestion of 9/19.

I opened the Milviz Addon Management System app on my desktop “as the Administrator” and still no luck reconfiguring the planes.

However, in doing so, a box pops up and asked me to Run the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter, which I did and the computer then stated "Settings applied to MVAMS – Windows compatibility mode: Windows 8." I run Windows 10.

I then went back into the MVAMS Properties, and opened the Compatibility tab where I saw there is box you can check under “Compatibility Mode” where is it currently set to Windows 8 where if you check the box for “Run this program in compatibility mode you can select:

• Windows Vista
• Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
• Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)
• Windows 7
• Windows 8

Since there was not box of Windows 10, I did not check the "Compatibility Mode" box on the assumption that the MVAMS program automatically defaults to Windows 10. Is this a correct assumption?

If not correct, and I need to change the Windows compatibility mode to Windows 10, how do I do that?

Also as previously noted there is no ability to do the In-Game Configuration to configure the aircraft as loaded in the simulator.

For now whenever I load any Beaver, it defaults to 1 Pilot no matter is I check passengers; Cold and Dark, and a three blade propeller with spinner even if I check two blade propeller (see attached pic).

Any thoughts?
Attachments
My Beaver Default.jpg
My Beaver Default.jpg (970.04 KiB) Viewed 1022 times

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:20 pm

Those compatibility modes can cause issues, I would turn those off.

I do not believe there are any options to be set up under "add-ons" in the sim, it is all via the MVAMS program.

You have several issues going on here that are not related. The non working gauges, sound and animation is definitely an XMLTools issue.

Please try the link I posted above for the XMLTools installer and screenshot any errors if it finds any.

Once we get that part solved we can look at why the MVAMS isn't coming up properly.

You should just be able to click on the little picture of the aircraft and it will take you to the options pages.

If the MVAMS is not working it may be due to the missing C++ redistributables.

If the MVAMS isn't working you cannot properly configure the passengers.

tobinweb101

Post by tobinweb101 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:08 pm

Steve:

Regarding your suggestion to:

If you run it and get errors you probably have a corrupted FSX or DLL.XML file.

I downloaded the XLM tool from the link, then executed it. However, when I go into either Steam or FSX program, I don't find any XML.DLL file. Am i looking into the wrong place?

Tom T.

tobinweb101

Post by tobinweb101 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:18 pm

Too, I am also seeing multiple lines in FSX that are similar in nature as:

FSX_6215_crash_2022-9_30T13_4_3C0.mdmp

What does this mean?

And can I delete them?

Please advise, Tom T.

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:40 am

Run a search on your PC to find the DLL.XML it should be in your appdata on your C: drive ( If I remember there is one in the FSX folder but that one does not get used)

Those files are crash dumps and may provide a clue. You could zip one up and email it to me.

tobinweb101

Post by tobinweb101 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:18 am

Please combine my queries into a single account and close the other - assume Beaver is what I what to go to.

Regarding DLL.XML under AppData, find the following:

C/Users/Public
C/Users/Tom
C/Users/Default (I unhid this)

Under C/Users/Default, I found AppData folder:

Under AppData/Local I find these folders:

Microsoft File
Temp File

Under AppData/Roaming, I find this folder

Microsoft

Where do I go from here?

Tom

tobinweb101

Post by tobinweb101 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:30 pm

Any thoughts on my October 7th email below...just wondering! :)

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:03 pm

DLL.XML should be under:

C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\

Not seeing an email from october 7th, I just rechecked the messages.

tobinweb101

Post by tobinweb101 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:18 pm

Opened C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\

And found the follow file folders:

_Backup
Controls
simobjects
Substitutions

Plus several other files such, including
Camera
dII
dII.xml.Asbackup
dxdiag
exe
fdr.dat
fsx
fsxCFBASNBackup
fsx.CFG
LWcfg.SPB
LWcfg.SPB
Program generated temporary flight.PJ3
scenery
wxstationlist.BIN

But no individual "DLL.XML" file.

If I need a "DLL.XML" is there a link that I can run to install?

Question - If I need a "DLL.XML" file to run the MILVIZ payware otter and beaver, I assume I would also need this file to run my other freeware and payware programs, which right now, work just fine? Humm?

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:18 pm

Well by the list of files you just posted it looks like another installer may have corrupted your dll.xml or deleted it.

the dll.xml.asbackup is an indication of this (I'm guessing Active Sky?)

You may also have "hide file extensions for OS files" set in your windows explorer so it could be the "dll" file is your dll.xml

Worst case you restore the back up from AS by deleting the .asbackup from the filename I listed above.

dll.xml is only a text file so you can try opening either of those files with notepad, you won't hurt anything.

Please email me the above two files and I can check them for you.

tobinweb101

Post by tobinweb101 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:42 pm

Just for fun I re-ran:

To check your dll.xml file for the proper section.

Then checked again in my FSX hidden files folder and the Dll file is not there regardless.

Is it possible that it is going somewhere else on my system?

Should I direct https://milviz.sharepoint.com/:u:/s/Gen ... g?e=Btx0SX to say upload on my desktop, then copy and paste into the C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SX directory?

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:30 pm

You must extract the file and run the installer that is therein. Make sure you are downloading the right one. There is a version for FSX and a version for P3D. The one I linked to you at first is the proper one. The one for the other poster in your thread is for P3D.

Back to what I said before.

Please attach and email me the files

dll

and

dll.xml.Asbackup

one of those is going to be it.

Return to “DHC-2 Beaver Support Forum”