Getting WX radar to work [resolved]

Rudyjo
Getting WX radar to work [resolved]

Post by Rudyjo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:14 pm

Just bought the Beaver, the weather radar doesn't work.
I also just got back on the forums after a few years and had to reset my password, after doing so, I am able to be on the forums.
From my understanding, there is something called redistributables from Microsoft that have to be in the computer for the radar to work.
Under the topic "How to fix most problems", there is a list of what redistributables are needed for various planes.
For the Beaver it says...."For the DHC-2 Beaver, please see here: redistributables"
When I click Redistributables, I get the message..."You are not authorized to read this forum".
How can I find out what downloads are needed from Microsoft to get the radar working?

doodlebug
Re: Getting WX radar to work

Post by doodlebug » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:12 pm

Support requests in the correct support forums only please.
Rudyjo wrote:When I click Redistributables, I get the message..."You are not authorized to read this forum".
I have updated your access, please try again or use the support ticket generator

Rudyjo

Post by Rudyjo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:55 am

Thanks for updating my access. I needed the 2008 C++ file. Got it downloaded and installed, I also set the UAC scale to it's lowest setting. The weather radar still doesn't work.
I have windows 7 which is a 64 bit system, could there be more of the C++ things to download that have to do with the files ending with (x64) ?

doodlebug

Post by doodlebug » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:48 am

I think you may be right. I will see if one of the devs can confirm.

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:36 am

I have moved your post to the support forums so I can answer it here.

First off, the WX now uses VS2015 redist, not VS2008. However, I do need to know just what is the nature of the WX not working. Are you unable to even get the test pattern on the radar?

Rudyjo

Post by Rudyjo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:46 pm

Yes, I have the 2015 redist. file. I mentioned the 2008 because it is one of the files listed on your list as needed for the beaver. I installed it thinking maybe that would get the radar working.
What I have is the WX gauge showing in the bottom right hand corner, the whole gauge is there with the screen and all the knobs.
I can point to the knobs and every one will change from the pointer to the hand . Nothing I can do with the mouse will turn any of the knobs.
The knob that turns the gauge on is pointed to "OFF". I assume that if the knob could be turned, the gauge would work.
I should mention that the majority of the tooltips do not show anything either, other than the radio knobs, the only other things that work on tooltips are the landing light switch, the fuel tank changing handle and the fuel cut-off handle.
Maybe there is a connection between the lack of tooltips and the knobs not working on the WX gauge?
Thank you for trying to figure out what might be wrong. Love the plane, I didn't get it because it included the WX. I thought if I liked the WX radar, I would get the REX model to put into other planes.

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:56 pm

Right click to rotate the knobs right, left click to rotate the knobs left.

Rudyjo

Post by Rudyjo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:29 pm

JonathanBleeker wrote:Right click to rotate the knobs right, left click to rotate the knobs left.
I have tried that. I have tried right clicking, left clicking, rolling the middle wheel and any combination, nothing works.
I can move a few inches to the left where the Comm. and Navigation radio is and everything works.
There appears to be no communication between the WX radar and the mouse .

Rudyjo

Post by Rudyjo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:15 pm

I just looked at the Programs installed under Control Panel. Listed as being Visual C++ files, I have two for 2005....one for 2008.....two for 2010...one for 2012...and one for 2015.
Are they all needed to work various things, or is every one an update for the previous version? Is the latest, 2015 the only one that matters, and the previous ones could be deleted?
I built this computer in 2014 and installed Windows 7, It wouldn't make much sense for them to install versions for 2005, 2008, 2010 and 2012 if they were outdated, so I assume that they are needed to run various things.
All this stuff is way above anything I'll understand.
Thanks for your help

doodlebug

Post by doodlebug » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:23 pm

Don't delete any!

LouP

Post by LouP » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:31 am

What!!!! The weather radar I purchased is now working??? How'd that slip by??

LouP

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:39 am

Please post a screenshot so I can see exactly what you have on your panel.

Rudyjo

Post by Rudyjo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:08 pm

Jonathan
Not sure how to send a screenshot, that's how much I know about computers.
What a screenshot would show is the panel just as it should be with the WX gauge selected. The entire gauge is there, screen and knobs. It looks just as it should before it was turned on,
The problem is not the gauge showing up, it's that it can't be turned on. The mouse has no effect on working any of the knobs.
There is no problem using the mouse on any of the radios or autopilot.
I did check my "Gauges" file and it shows the Wx.dll. file being there.
It seems that something is missing that would connect the mouse movement and this WX gauge.
Should it uninstall the whole plane and then reinstall it?
This is being run on FSX with acceleration.

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:46 pm

Ok just to clarify, are you working with the 2D popup WX or the one on the VC panel? If the latter, have you tried the 2D popup? Is there one available in your panel?

Rudyjo

Post by Rudyjo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:37 pm

Neither the pop up or the one in the panel work.
It I left click any of the knobs on the pop up, it puts a border around the gauge so you can move it to a different location.
A right click brings up the message "Close window, and hide menu bar"

Return to “DHC-2 Beaver Support Forum”