AP issue with UP and DN buttons

fppilot
Re: AP issue with UP and DN buttons

Post by fppilot » Wed May 23, 2018 4:13 pm

bpieke wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:32 am
Could it be that you are crossing a time zone boundary?

If the gauge uses the "local time" variable, these things can happen..
No. At the time of the instances I was not near a time zone boundry. Not even once. However I believe I was at flight plan waypoints each time this occurred. The second common element seems to be the time duration into the flight. Always over two hours. I will start a timer and specifically track from now on.

In an unrelated learning experience with the AP I was flying around an airport I had just updated, KBMG, Bloomington, Indiana, observing my work. I was flying strictly on HDG and ALT. I decided to head to Indianapolis. I entered KIND in the GNS flight plan page and cicked D->, then selected KIND. I neglected to click Activate. I then clicked on NAV on the AP, expecting it to change course to the D-> instruction. It did not, and annunciated both NAV and ROL. I toggled back and forth from HDG to NAV and could not get it to follow my instruction. Then I realized I had not activated the D->. As soon as I did that and toggled once more bewteen HDG and NAV the AP annunciated only NAV and turned to follow the D->.

My observation is that the AP entered ROL and NAV because it had nothing to read from the GNS. This is what I believe is happening with this issue. But the flight plan is clear. The magenta line is there on the map. The magenta bracket is there for the flight segment. The AP returns to the flight plan when I instruct D-> to the next waypoint in the plan. Clearly there is instruction the AP should get from the GNS, only for some reason it loses it long enough to create the issue. And that within what seems to be a narrow window based on flight or flight plan duration.

Frank

fppilot

Post by fppilot » Wed May 23, 2018 4:38 pm

Forgot I had taken this. Here is a screen shot from yesterday right after the issue occurred. I provided a link to a larger image below. Note on the GPS the course track is 292°. Note the HDG bug on the HSI is set to about due south. Note on the GNS 530 popup the aircraft has been turned toward the HDG bug. The AP is annunciating ROL and NAV. You can see the flight plan course on the map, and if you look closely on the GNS 430 you can see the magenta bracket for the flight plan segment. Note also that this occurred before reaching fix LMN. It was very near the state line, but none of the previous instances of this issue were, so I believe that to be a coincidence.

I was in a climb from 4,000 to 6,000 ft after clearing some weather, but had been into that 500 fpm climb for well over three minutes. So nothing had been executed by me to coincide with the event of the issue.

The link to a larger image:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Avioni ... 281%29.jpg

Raller

Post by Raller » Wed May 23, 2018 5:21 pm

Taguilo wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:23 pm
The popup unit works as expected, however I've seen that it is not included in some panel configurations.

Tomas
Hello,
If you plan the AP as a popup 2D window in a next update, i have a small improvement suggestion:

In the VC AP the Mouse-Wheel-Operation for the Alt-Select-Knobs is
Mouse-Wheel-Forward -> clockwise
Mouse-Wheel-Backward -> counter-clockwise

In the 2D Gauge File "MV_KAP140_PopupDisplay.xml" the Mousewheel works in the opposite way!

Raller

Taguilo

Post by Taguilo » Wed May 23, 2018 5:36 pm

Raller wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:21 pm
Hello,
If you plan the AP as a popup 2D window in a next update, i have a small improvement suggestion:

In the 2D Gauge File "MV_KAP140_PopupDisplay.xml" the Mousewheel works in the opposite way!

Raller
Sure!
Thanks for the tip.

Tomas

Taguilo

Post by Taguilo » Wed May 23, 2018 5:38 pm

My observation is that the AP entered ROL and NAV because it had nothing to read from the GNS. This is what I believe is happening with this issue.
Frank,
Are you saying the AP was in NAV mode and suddenly, without any command from you, it turned to ROL/NAV ARM mode by itself?

Tomas

Raller

Post by Raller » Wed May 23, 2018 6:34 pm

Just by the way, that happend to me today, because i was to fast to follow the GPS-Track...

Screenshot (106).jpg
Screenshot (106).jpg (124.6 KiB) Viewed 578 times

Taguilo

Post by Taguilo » Wed May 23, 2018 7:27 pm

Two examples of tight turns at high speed, one in ALT mode and the other in VS down mode.
Works ok. Same GTN version (I guess)
This AP is really interesting! :D

Tom

Sprite 6.jpg
Sprite 6.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 573 times
Sprite 18.jpg
Sprite 18.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 572 times

Taguilo

Post by Taguilo » Wed May 23, 2018 8:20 pm

Guys,

For all of you that are using RXP products (GSN550,GTN750,etc), in config options there should be one that enables "Auto Cursor" or "Link Cursor". Please report what mode you have selected for that option.
I'm afraid problems reported could be related to OBI needle not linked to flight plan course.
As a reference, see this specific config from F1 GTN750.

Thanks
Tom

Sprite 7.jpg
Sprite 7.jpg (487.92 KiB) Viewed 569 times

fppilot

Post by fppilot » Wed May 23, 2018 8:55 pm

Taguilo wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:20 pm
Guys,

For all of you that are using RXP products (GSN550,GTN750,etc), in config options there should be one that enables "Auto Cursor" or "Link Cursor". Please report what mode you have selected for that option.
I'm afraid problems reported could be related to OBI needle not linked to flight plan course.

Thanks
Tom

Sprite 7.jpg
Tom,
Okay will check that. In the meantime I can report that I flew the same flight again today and it happened again. 1:56 and change into the flight. Happened a few miles earlier than yesterday, was not at a waypoint. Was not at a state line. My Megascenery stays loaded I believe, so wouldn't appear to be related to scenery load. I have screenshots I can post. It still seems to me to be a time duration issue. All six occurrences for me have been right around the two hours in mark.

When the AP went into ROL mode today it was exclusively in ROL mode. NAV was not annunciated. It did not turn me off course, it simply drifted off course. That is consistent with what happened the first four occurrences. Yesterday was the only occurrence of turning to the HDG bug.

Tomas, I suggest we start a new topic for this. We've totally hijacked the up down button topic. Is that what we should do?

Frank
Last edited by fppilot on Wed May 23, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taguilo

Post by Taguilo » Wed May 23, 2018 9:16 pm

Frank,

Just sent you a PM.
Please check.

Tom

fppilot

Post by fppilot » Wed May 23, 2018 9:30 pm

While I understand your request and its basis, why if that were the issue would the AP faithfully follow the GNS flight plan for two hours before shifting into ROL mode?

Anyway, the RXP settings have different descriptions. Here are my settings for my primary Redux GPS, a GNS 530. The rem lines precede the settings so I separated them for readability:

; connects GPS to HSI if true.
LinkHsi = true

; connects GPS to HSI course if true.
LinkCrs = true

; connects HSI OBS to GPS if true.
LinkObs = false

; connects GPS to VOR if true.
LinkVor = false

; connects GPS to Autopilot if true.
LinkOto = true

; connects CDI key to NAV/GPS switch if true.
AutoNavGps = true

Tomas, if you are reading this can you select these more recent messages and transfer them over to a new topic? This issue has its own uniqueness.

Frank
p.s. I assumed when I posted in response to this question that you were a Milviz support person...

Raller

Post by Raller » Wed May 23, 2018 10:32 pm

[GTN750.1]
Unit Type=1 // 0=725 1=750
Radios=0
Autopilot=1
Mouse=1
Link CRS=1
Auto CRS=1
Fuel=1
Sound=1

Raller

Post by Raller » Wed May 23, 2018 11:25 pm

I'm sorry but i noticed another autopilot problem.

It happend more than twice that i am in approach and disable the AP. The AP-Display shows the deactivation until i noticed - after a moment of shock - that i have no control over the aileron :shock:

After i pushed the AP-Disable-Button again, i got back the control over the aileron and could safely land...

PS: i did it with the assigned-key on my joystick for "AP-Disable"

PS PS: I just saw, Bert Pieke reported the same issue under this Topic
https://milviz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=9475
Last edited by Raller on Thu May 24, 2018 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raller

Post by Raller » Thu May 24, 2018 5:28 am

Taguilo wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:36 pm
Raller wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:21 pm
Hello,

Raller
Sure!
Thanks for the tip.

Tomas
...and the "P" and the "R" Alert are missing!

Return to “310 Redux Support Forum”