Latest installer : DHC-2 Expansion Pack (170829)

doodlebug
Latest installer : DHC-2 Expansion Pack (170829)

Post by doodlebug » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:54 pm

r.menzel
Re: Latest installer : DHC-2 Expansion Pack (170829)

Post by r.menzel » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:21 pm

Sorry - being new to this Forum I don't know whether this is the right place for my question/support request? I had sent this message to Osh:

Hello Osh - sorry bugging you again... Managed to get the DHC-2 installed and running, great first impressions in general with one major drawback* - thanks again for your help! Now here is another issue I came across, tried to find an answer in the Forum and online, but to no avail. Using the MVAMS tool and setting the Default GPS to Milviz 530/430 the GPS shows up and is functional in the standard versions incl. Tundra. BUT in the STOL versions of the same Aircraft the Milviz 530/430 GPS won't show up. I haven't checked each and every model/livery, this is what I did:

CUXPA GPS OK

CUXPA Tundra GPS OK

CUXPA Tundra STOL no GPS

CUXPA straight Floats STOL no GPs

N1117F GPS OK

N1117F Tundra GPS OK

N1117F straight Floats STOL no GPS

N297B Tundra STOL no GPS

but there is an apparent pattern that for some reason the STOL versions wouldn't install the GPS (yes I am aware that the 530/430 GPS is the only set supported without further addon). Am I missing something? What do I need to do? Or some bug?

*mentioning "major drawback": the slow/taxi speed water handling is quite dismal. I am living here in Floatplane Country (Vancouver Island), therefore I am not a complete stranger to the proper docking procedures of a Beaver. Unfortunately the "virtual Beaver" has the nasty habit to immediately come to a full standstill the moment the engine is cut prior to reaching the dock. I have read some comments about the ground handling of the wheeled version and users comment that this was the weakest and least properly modeled aspect of the otherwise excellent plane. I assume that the float version from a programming perspective "interprets" the water the same as a taxiway on terra firma, which of course would explain the said unrealistic behavior. Milviz programmers must be aware of this shortcoming! Any plans to improve this in an SP.?
Your help will of course be greatly appreciated! Rolf.

Chuck Jodry

Post by Chuck Jodry » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:05 pm

Hello Rolf, There are changes to the cfg that are written by the MVAMS , in this instance only the base versions are being modified to reflect the selection in the MVAMS . this can be caused by a number of different scenarios , among them AV programs , having installed into drives outside of program files to name a few.

What Sim is this ?
Were both installers run at the same time or just the addon pack ?
Is the lot on C drive ?

I wasn't sure of these points reading the post

Best CJ

r.menzel

Post by r.menzel » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:10 am

Thanks Chuck for addressing this issue. I try to answer the questions you asked: OS W10 64, Sim P3D v3.4 , After purchasing the DHC-2 together with the Expansion Pack (my primary interest - living here on the BC coast - being the straight floats version) I had some trouble installing the files, but that was sorted out with Osh's help. I have all my P3D on a separate SSD, solely dedicated to Flight Sim. But then of course some files are automatically installed on C: as well. When installing I pointed the installation to D: > SimObjects > Airplanes. First I installed the base plane and immediately afterwards the Expansion. b.t.w. I had the UAC diabled and also disabled Norton Auto-Protect prior to installation. Perhaps I should also mention that I am able to make changes to the STOL DHC-2 floats with the NVAMS, it recognizes passengers, start up as cold and dark and changes the spinner to the type I selected. The only issue appears to be the "Radio" category.
Further I should perhaps mention that on my Flightsim D: drive there are no other (non-Flightsim) programs installed, but I have a limited number of add-ons - ORBX scenery packages, ORBX Traffic, Rex HD Airports, Trees, Grass texture and Active Sky 2016 (P3D). The only other non P3D stock A/C I have is the A2A C172, which I have since a long time.
Yesterday I also uninstalled and re-installed both the base DHC-2 + the Expansion Pack, but to no avail, still no GPS, everything else appears to be working to specs. Could it possibly have any effect installing the base plane and then run it once prior to installing the Expansion??? I haven't tried that.
You are mentioning "AV programs" - there are no "Games" installed on my machine, what I have is a limited number of Photography related programs i.e. Photoshop, SNS HDR, Photozoom Pro and a few additional "Filters" - they are all installed on C: and yes there are a few programs which may fall under the category "AV", but what I have was all part of the initial W10 installation. W10 had been installed as an upgrade from W8 and W8.1 more than a year ago (can't remember precisely when). And I take great care keeping my computer as "uncluttered/clean" as a layperson can possibly do.

Sorry for being a bit lengthy here, butI thought I wanted to provide you with all the details I could possibly think of. Perhaps that sheds some light on the GPS issue?
And then I also mentioned the water-taxi "behavior" - but let's that alone for now!

Many thanks and my best regards, Rolf.

Krazycolin
Site Admin

Post by Krazycolin » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:09 am

AV=Anti Virus.

Which GPS are you trying to use?

r.menzel

Post by r.menzel » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:17 am

Sorry I misinterpreted "AV" - I am using Norton.

GPS Milviz 530/430 - which I understand is the only directly supported GPS, any other would be 3rd. party.

Does that help? Thanks and regards, Rolf.

Chuck Jodry

Post by Chuck Jodry » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:38 pm

What we have here is a problem that will be a bit of a challenge to resolve unfortunately , the MVAMS hasn't found the addon pack location . Its placement on a separate drive has caused issues before and appears to have done so again .

A workaround may be available to get you up and running immediately , if you go to the aircraft.cfg in the version you are trying to load with the default gns and paste the following panel=mv530_430 , do this for all the liveries or just the one you fly and the gns will load .

Getting your specific installation fixed may present a problem as its advised that the install be in the same location as P3D , the option of installing into simobjects would resolve it , in any case we would need to consult with the programmer of the MVAMS to get further options .

Best CJ

Krazycolin
Site Admin

Post by Krazycolin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:55 pm

Sorry but, as Chuck says, it would be difficult to resolve this without recoding the MVAMS... and, that's not going to happen.

As always, it is recommended that you install into the same directory structure as P3D... and that should ALWAYS be the default setup as well.

r.menzel

Post by r.menzel » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:47 pm

Hi Chuck - thanks a lot for your cfg. panel=mv530-430 suggestion - that solved the problem right away!

Now I had previously mentioned (to Osh) that there appears to be another issue (with the straight floats STOL version only?). This may not be the right Forum, may be needs to be posted elsewhere? Anyway let me try - docking the float DHC-2: living here in "Sea-Plane-Country" I have a basic understanding of the technique a float Beaver typically approaches a dock. In the final phase of the low speed taxi the engine is cut some 150/200 ft. from the dock (assuming no wind and no moving water), the plane then has sufficient inertia to reach the landing position and come to a gentle standstill (I am repeating well known facts...).
The "virtual Beaver" appears to lack maneuverability in that final, but obviously very critical phase of the flight. The moment the engine is cut at slow taxi speed, the plane comes to an immediate standstill. There appears to be no way to "sail" the plane gently to the dock. Restarting the engine you normally end up in the dock due to the fact that the water rudders appear to require a fairly fast taxi speed before they show any efficiency to steer the plane on the water.
Am I missing something here or is this slow taxi behavior still beyond what can be simulated on a PC with the currently available software?

Your brief comment will be greatly appreciated. Last not least I want to mention that the development team did a great job with the DHC-2, other than this "snag" with the low speed taxi maneuverability it is really a pleasure to fly the DHC-2! Best, Rolf.

Return to “DHC-2 Spray'n'Play Support Forum”