Proper use of Oil Cooler Flap in MSFS [Answered]

Find out more before you buy, or chat to other Corsair pilots!
(No support requests please)
caaront
Proper use of Oil Cooler Flap in MSFS [Answered]

Post by caaront » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:33 pm

I love the Corsair in MSFS 2020, the beautifully modeled plane with the awesome realistic scenery in the sim is perfect.

Thus far I am having good performance and cooling with the following cowl/oil cooler flaps settings in the sim, but I cannot locate cruise settings for the oil cooler flap.

For ground work I have the cowl flap full open, but have not seen a recommended setting for the oil cooler flap so I open it a little to 10%-15% while taxiing, etc...

For take off I set the cowl flap to 2/3 open and the oil cooler flap to full open.

For cruise I set the cowl flap to closed or slightly open, and having found no oil flap setting recommendation I use it as needed, usually having it set to about 10%.

For approach I leave the oil cooler where it is and shut the cowl flap, and then open it again for taxi, etc,...

In case of a touch and go or go around I set them the same as the take off settings. Thus far this has kept the temps in the green, but I am not sure if I am setting it correctly and just getting lucky or if I am doing okay.

Thank you for any help.

doodlebug
Re: Proper use of Oil Cooler Flap in MSFS

Post by doodlebug » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:18 pm

For cruise the cowl flaps would be as you have them: closed, or very slightly open if the required cooling cannot be obtained by other means (richening the mixture , adjusting the throttle,...)

caaront
Re: Proper use of Oil Cooler Flap in MSFS

Post by caaront » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:23 pm

Thank you, but what about the oil cooler flap?

Doh, I think you included that also when you typed flaps, I saw flap at first. Thanks again.

Return to “FG-1D Corsair General Forum”