Still Flying P3D 4.2

Come here to post any comments about any of our projects or to just to chat!
No support requests please.
Eagle Spirit
Still Flying P3D 4.2

Post by Eagle Spirit » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:56 pm

I just got tired of having to reinstall P3D every time they patched it, so I still fly 4.2. I have a shyte pot full of MV AC, as they were my preferred developer, and they perform well in 4.2, However, I haven't purchased any new MV AC because they are P3D 4.5 compatible only. The Porter, DHC Turbo were of interest as well as a few others. If MV can make a "Porter" for FSX, why can't they provide one for us P3D 4.2 users? I feel like MV has shut the door in our faces! I flat stopped coming to the forums for a long time, and just returned to inquire as to why there don't seem to be any new compatible 4.2 AC, in hopes that they might consider a policy change.

Kind Regards, Eagle

doodlebug
Re: Still Flying P3D 4.2

Post by doodlebug » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:35 pm

Hi Eagle, nice to have you back.

The simple answer is that more people update their sim than don't. If we can make something backwards compatible, we will.

Many of our products will function under any iteration of P3d v4, however the included extra modules (like WX) will not.

Eagle Spirit

Post by Eagle Spirit » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:29 pm

Hi "Doodle",

Thanks for your reply. I'm back, texting the waters :) I have historically been a loyal Milviz member.

Yes, I understand that many update. I simply got tired of it, especially since many of the things included in updates are of no interest to me. That said,I'm ignorant of the complexities of "backward compatibilities". I did see the Porter for FSX so I wondered why not for P3D 4.2. I would consider purchasing 4.5 compatible AC, but just what modules don't work? ("however the included extra modules (like WX) will not."). Is there is a a resource available that will give details of specific modules that won't work, that we have access to? I see other developers who are providing AC which are 4.2 compatible. Have a hunch it's more of a marketing ploy for Milviz than anything else ;) .

Looking forward to MSFS 2020. The reviews to date have been good.

Eagle

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:45 pm

You don't need to reinstall the whole P3D, just the client and content. And if you uninstall the content, it doesn't touch your addons.

Eagle Spirit

Post by Eagle Spirit » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:02 pm

Jonathan,

Thank you. Good to be in touch again.

Rather ignorant of "client" Reinstall. What does it do? All my present AC are 4.2. I might like to pickup a few 4.5 AC. Wont there be a compatibility issue flying 4.2 in a 4.5 update?

Kind Regards, Eagle

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:43 pm

Quite possibly yes. LM provides 3 installers for each P3D version. Client, Content, and Scenery. Go to your Control Panel->Programs and Features and remove the Client and Content packages for your P3D, and then install the new versions once you have downloaded them.

Eagle Spirit

Post by Eagle Spirit » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:04 pm

Well, all my AC are flying well in 4.2, with the Beaver the exception, mentioned in my recent posts. I can't see any benefit in updating to 4.5 if there are going to be compatibility issues. Actually, I haven't seen any AC out there in 4.5 formate that really blow up my "skirt" :lol: I have many Milviz AC in my stable, as well as other dev. AC that afford me a wide range of flight experiences.

Eagle

gjereza

Post by gjereza » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:19 pm

@Eagle Spirit, I just thought I'd mention that I'm with you. I have over 100+ add ons (mostly Orbx), some on FSX Steam on my laptop and with Windows already doing frequent updates, I prefer not to update (ie. "if it ain't broken, don't fix it"). Version control and compatibility issues was a giant headache at work and I personally don't want to feel like I have to deal with that in my leisure hours.

I don't mind updating a plane, a scenery, or two, but updating a platform such as FSX or P3D or an OS in which a lot of add-ons work with is a totally different story all together.

Eagle Spirit

Post by Eagle Spirit » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:23 pm

Thanks gjereza,

Was sure that I wasn't alone on this.

Thankfully, MV doesn't have any 4.5 versions that I feel I must have :lol: MV suggested to me that the Beaver Turbo / Porter should work out of the box, but that some modules may not work. What? No thank you. I haven't purchased a MV AC in some time now. Thought I'd return to forum to check things out. A bit tired of having issues ignored / frosted over because they don't want to admit that certain AC, like Beaver have known issues that can't be resolved.

Hey, I fly for the enjoyment. I don't care to be a real world pilot. I set settings at full realism and get in the air. I don't have the time to uninstall / reinstall every time they patch P3D, nor do I want to! I'm tired of dev's (not just MV) playing "fk-fk" with us with their marketing strategies designed to get deep in our pockets. What would it take to make their new AC compatible in recent versions of P3D (4.0 on) ?

Overall, the MV team have produced some very good AC, however, there is one individual who I feel has misdirected them with a self destructive policy. (I wonder if this post will be deleted) ;)

I've been watching the recent MSFS 2020 reviews on Youtube. They look very good. I look forward to seeing the end product and its terms.

Stay vertical, Eagle

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:43 pm

Actually the only module that would load would be the weather radar, which has to be modified and re-compiled for every version of P3D. If one owns the full version from Rex, they update it to work with every version of P3D at no cost, and because it's not locked to a specific aircraft can then be installed in every aircraft for which you wish to have it.

As far as updating P3D, if you only install the "client" it will only affect the stock aircraft. Add-on aircraft are not affected at all. So, there's no re-installation of them required... :ugeek:

Return to “General Product Forum (completed projects)”