Engine won't start; control surfaces not working - installing XMLtools

kopolla
Engine won't start; control surfaces not working - installing XMLtools

Post by kopolla » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:05 pm

Hey everyone, after a fresh install I have the following problem:

Starting cold and dark, the engine wont start, the prop won't even start turning. Starting in ready-for-takeoff mode, the engine is off also and won't start with CTRL+E. Also the pedals and yoke do not move inside the cockpit and the control surfaces outside don't either.

I assume the problem lies with the installation of XML Tools. During the setup it comes up with an XML-Tools error message saying it can't find P3D on my PC, which sounds about right, as I am using FSX:SE (also selected that in the installer!).

An uninstall and new install didn't do anything to change that.
So afterwards I downloaded the installer from the website, but that also gave me the same error box, this time saying it can't find FSX on the machine. I can understand that, as my FSX is installed on another drive because of SSD space issues. I tried using the regfix tool, but that one didn't help either. Also tried downloading the XML tools from an external site, but that also didn't work.

For fun, I also tried to put a copy of the fsx.exe in the original standard folder (.../Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator X) and creating a Junction Link, both of those didn't work.

I did fill out your questionnaire, the results are down below:

Does your system meet the sim's requirements? YES
Did you temporarily disable your anti-virus program during the download process? YES
Before installing did you disable UAC. (User Account Control)? YES
Did you install, and are you running the sim as an admin? YES
Before running the sim did you make sure the FSX/P3D directory is off limits to any AV scanning? YES
Does your system have the required distributables? YES
Is your video card DX11 compatible? YES
If applicable, did you disable any FSX to P3D migration tools (like Estonia) before running the sim? YES
Are you using an aircraft other than a Milviz one as your default aircraft? YES
Have you installed in the root sim directory? YES
Do you have the appropriate SimConnect libraries installed? YES

Aircraft: DHC-3T Turbo Otter
Sim platform: FSX: Steam Edition
Operating system: Win10
Version: 1.180919_wx
Unique ticket identifier: 839E1227-AC46-5A67-546F-10867974B68E

Here's an extract from my dxdiag

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz (6 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Display Memory: 16247 MB
Dedicated Memory: 8088 MB

kopolla
Re: Engine won't start; control surfaces not working - installing XMLtools

Post by kopolla » Fri May 01, 2020 8:16 pm

It seems like I managed to fix it. Turns out when using the Registry tool, I didn't set the check box "Add to current User", which seems to be required.

Return to “DHC-3T Turbo Otter Support Forum”