Revert 310R Redux camera tilt & some feedback

aurel
Re: Revert 310R Redux camera tilt & some feedback

Post by aurel » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:17 pm

Raptor wrote:I have VR (Oculus) and have not seen any issues with my camera position. The Native VR is... how to say it? ... um... tricky

Until LM fine tunes the VR, my best bet is to use FlyInside or deal with my way of centering the view before entering VR
Thank you, Sergio, for your input, but it is in no way, shape or form related to my issue, and will only confuse anyone not familiar with P3D in VR.

1) This thread is not about camera position, but about camera orientation, specifically about vertical camera orientation (as in "looking up or down"). You're probably well aware that the Rift does not need any help figuring out where up and down is. This axis is not affected at all by the on-the-fly calibration ("centering the HMD", "reset view"), ie. no matter how you tilt the headset while resetting the view, up will always be straight up, down will always be straight down, and level will always be parallel to the ground.

2) Of course P3D's native VR offers a way to "recenter" the HMD by way of a function you can assign to any control (e.g. a joystick button). And even if it didn't (but it does!), there's always the "Reset View" option in the Oculus software, which is easily accessible when wearing the headset. There is no reason at all to go through a procedure like you describe it. There is also the Oculus Beta (check it out!), which comes with Oculus Desktop, a way to easily switch between your desktop and any virtual environment without removing the HMD or peeking below it, so you can easily enable P3D's VR mode while you're wearing the headset.

3) I've used FlyInside for a long time, I have reasons for not using it any longer. I stopped using it when they left the add-on in an unstable state for months to develop a different product. Apart from platform stability, one of the main reasons for me to use the native VR mode is that I was told I can't expect support from 3rd parties for issues with an "experimental" add-on like FlyInside. It's much harder (albeit non unheard-of) for those 3rd parties to deny support for the built-in VR mode.

Krazycolin
Site Admin

Post by Krazycolin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:22 pm

And that’s pretty much what’s going to happen here as well. Though P3D might have native VR support, not a single dev on our team has a device that does this. Nor do we, at this time, expect to do so.

My apologies.

aurel

Post by aurel » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:39 pm

Krazycolin wrote:And that’s pretty much what’s going to happen here as well. Though P3D might have native VR support, not a single dev on our team has a device that does this. Nor do we, at this time, expect to do so.
No worries, it took me a while to realize that I'm trying to explain colors to blind people (and doing a bad job of it), and I deeply regret bringing the issue up, because this thread wasn't satisfying for anybody involved. I could've flown the 310R daily for months and months and would still have used less overall time on my workaround than I spent writing posts about it.

Contact me anytime if you need someone (with VR experience and a QA background) to have a look at GA products in VR.

PS: I'm a bit sad that you don't get to enjoy the 310R in VR, especially the people in your team doing the 3d models. They would love the experience. It's glorious.

Return to “310 Support Forum”