P3D vs FSX

All the new and coolest stuff that we're working on!

What do you use?

P3D v2 only! It's the future and I love those shadows!
38%
FSX! I'm a believer!
28%
BOTH! I like both worlds!
34%

Total votes: 179

Krazycolin
Site Admin
P3D vs FSX

Post by Krazycolin » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:16 am

Hi all,

I'd like to know how many of you use FSX and also P3D... and how many use P3D only ...

Krazycolin
Site Admin
Re: P3D vs FSX

Post by Krazycolin » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:29 pm

69 views and only 17 votes??? I need INFORMATION!!!!

Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:50 am

I went with P3Dv2 only. While its still early for me to make the move, all the addon developers I like have said they will support it so its just a matter of time. If all the addons were currently available, I'd make the move and not look back.

Storm

Post by Storm » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:45 am

Here's the issue that worries me, P3D is still "technically" off limits for entertainment purposes even though many are using it for just that. I guess some who buy P3Dv2 could say they are using it under the "simulation/learning" use column but what if one day something legal pops up and/or there is a sudden change in the contractual agreement between Lockheed and Microsoft which upends P3D? That and the fact we're still seeing a lot of issues with P3D and aftermarket addons which may or may not be fixed at some point. Personally, I'm sure I am not the only one who wishes that this program would be revised and debugged into a more fitting 64bit program which alleviates a lot of limitations that both FSX and P3D have. It could be done but the question is will it?
I wouldn't close the door on FSX just yet, technically it still has room to grow.

ollifreund

Post by ollifreund » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:54 am

Besides the entertainment issue, I think the biggest problem with P3D is the lack
of addons - so P3D only would not make much sense at the moment. I personally
first choose the aircraft, then the sim.
With tasty aircraft (and a faster computer, hm!) P3D is the superior sim and
worth the move.

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:03 pm

Without getting into a long and drawn out technical discussion, here are some salient observations with regards to the "Entertainment Elephant" in the room...
  1. Lockheed-Martin licensed ESP code from Microsoft with some legal restrictions that effectively limit them to web-based sales and distribution of their product.
  2. L-M consulted with their legal team and drew up their current EULA with just enough weasel-worded wiggle room to allow them to sell the product to anyone.
  3. No one is "carded at the door" or asked to provide any documentation proving their status.
  4. Every customer is allowed to join the Prepar3D forums and provide feedback to them.
  5. L-M maintains completely separate forums for their "professional customers."
There's more I could add, but given just the above it should be pretty clear by now that without actually coming out and saying so, all "flightsimmers" are not only welcomed, but encouraged to participate!

CAPFlyer

Post by CAPFlyer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:17 pm

That may be true Bill, but Lockheed has put the following disclaimer on the "Details" page for a reason -
As provided in our End User License Agreement, the Prepar3D application is not to be used, offered, sold or distributed through markets or channels for use as a personal/consumer entertainment product.
Plus, they have BIG, RED X's across the row "Personal Consumer Entertainment".

So whether LM is "pro" flight simmer or not, the actual customer base for P3D until such time as that limitation is removed will remain restricted. As others said, there is always the chance someone at Microsoft will get their panties in a wad and demand that Lockheed do something about all the "flight simmers" using the product, at which time, we loose all access and they're forced to check cards at the door.

Until such time as it's 100% cool to use P3D for general public use, I'm not moving to it, especially at their price point. It's not an issue of whether I'm "skirting" the law or not for me. It's an issue of how easy it is for 1 person to cause the whole thing to end very quickly, whether it be an end-user, Microsoft, or Lockheed-Martin.

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:19 pm

MS has effectively dumped the flight simulator side of things since flight. As Bill said, the LM guys have drawn up their current EULA with just enough weasel-worded wiggle room to allow them to sell the product to anyone. Their agreement with MS states that it may not be used for entertainment but they will only enforce that if you are blatent about it. On the contrary they very much want our feedback on a don't ask don't tell arrangement so there is really no point unless you want to put a banner on every v2 screenie of yours that says "This shot was taken in LM's P3D v2.2 which I am using for my personal entertainment purposes" and then post those screenshots on the LM forums and every other flightsim site to name. FWIW, if I recall correctly there was a change in the EULA where "personal use" is allowed as long as it is "not for entertainment purposes" or something like that....Bill? I believe you still posted it somewhere.

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:22 am

Buried very deep in L-M's Prepar3D site is the actual EULA (the full version, not the abbreviated one that is easily found). The precise language was indeed changed.

The more that folks harp on this issue, the likelier it might be that what the doom-sayers are prognosticating may occur. There is a reason why L-M politely asked flight sim websites to prohibit EULA discussions.

Corporate management and their legal team have bent over backwards to carefully craft their stance such that they are in compliance with the exact terms of their obligations, yet still allow anyone (their word, not mine!) to license a copy for their own, personal use in the privacy of their own home.

Redbird has bought many thousands of dollars worth of P3D licenses to power their simulators, including the newest and most affordable one that's been embraced and endorsed by AOPA for anyone to buy....

As someone at LM told me some months ago, they frankly don't give a tinker's damn who buys a license, or what use they put it to except if someone was to perhaps put their sim in a trailer, haul it to the State Fair and try to make money by charging folks to use it.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:23 am

I´ll stick with FSX as long as the Tacpack isn´t available in P3D. Once the Tacpack works in P3D I´ll switch due to the vastly improved capabilities (f.e.: Oculus Rift Support. Flightsim-World will never be the same once that thing is available to the consumer.)

gibo

Post by gibo » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:13 am

I own P3dv2 Pro and still have FSX running only until my favourite aircraft are all P3d capable or purchasable under P3d after which I remove FSX.

Cheers,

gibo

wizzards

Post by wizzards » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:09 am

for what it is worth I have got rid of FSX and P3d v1.4 only P3dv2.2 from now on,It just works great for me,so smooth ,no micro stutters or graphic issues and with Orbx scenery looks terrific,most of my FSX aircraft work well and what doesn't I can live without,as a person with limited pc knowledge that's all I ever wanted from my Sim, FSX didn't deliver a good experience to me ,lots of hrs spent tweaking this and that,just seemed to sort one issue only for another one to pop up,LM are very involved in improving their Sim and I believe things will only get better,I no longer purchase anything without a dedicated P3d installer,I run a 32" hd tv at around 50FPS on an old asus gtx 570 graphic card and my intel cpu o/c to 4500,
thanks for reading
peter

jae3806

Post by jae3806 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:13 am

Tried P3d V2 , deleted it and went back to FSX. Cannot see any benefit in using both and with all the add-ons to FSX including programs to make it more responsive , it ok for me...
Now , in saying that , I'm not into airliners or the larger planes, so dont know if these larger planes need to grunt of P3D which FSX does not supply.

Dumonceau

Post by Dumonceau » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:24 pm

I've tried P3D v1 and v2 and deleted them after less than an hour of flight.

I have a rig with Gfx cards in SLI, and LM does not offer support for it. So I'm a happy FSX user.

Dumonceau

pipeorgan

Post by pipeorgan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:55 am

I now use P3DV2.3 exclusively and love it and am very pleased that Milviz support it.

I am a recent new member having just purchased the B55 and MV407. It's great to have a platform which is constantly being developed and an aircraft developer which is leading edge. Thanks for the GTN support :D

Return to “Work In Progress”