T-38A Crashing Upon Landing

JulietKiloMike
Re: T-38A Crashing Upon Landing

Post by JulietKiloMike » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:16 pm

N4GIX wrote:The white index marker is pre-set for the correct approach speed. He's well over speed on the approach.
On the 100fpm landing that resulted in a crash, touchdown speed was around 150 kts, and I don't think I exceeded 200kts on approach, according to what I was seeing on the instrument panel--the airspeed indicator needle was right on the white marker for most of the approach. Am I reading the gauges wrong?

Krazycolin
Site Admin

Post by Krazycolin » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:31 pm

You're deffo going to fast in that video... plus, if you're going too fast AND you're close to 100fpm descent... you're going to break something....

Victory103

Post by Victory103 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:21 pm

JKM, as you posted the speeds, I only assume you read the manual regarding landing techniques? The vids are helpful, but I was unable to make out your fuel gauges, what is your fuel level? Your viewpoint seems high to me as well, are you adjusting the "seat"? How many times have you landed the T-38? Of all the fighter type payware models that I know the FDE has been thoroughly tested, the T-38 is probably the only one I must pay attention to in the landing phase and actually strive for a green "donut" and my speed calculations to be on. I've come out of the break a few times thinking I was doing well only to find myself on my back during the base turn.

JulietKiloMike

Post by JulietKiloMike » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:47 pm

Victory103 wrote:JKM, as you posted the speeds, I only assume you read the manual regarding landing techniques? The vids are helpful, but I was unable to make out your fuel gauges, what is your fuel level? Your viewpoint seems high to me as well, are you adjusting the "seat"? How many times have you landed the T-38? Of all the fighter type payware models that I know the FDE has been thoroughly tested, the T-38 is probably the only one I must pay attention to in the landing phase and actually strive for a green "donut" and my speed calculations to be on. I've come out of the break a few times thinking I was doing well only to find myself on my back during the base turn.
I have read some chunks of the manual, but not the whole thing. I did go over the section on landing techniques, and it does look like I'm coming in "hot" relative to the recommended speeds, at least on the landings where a crash occurs. My landings are far from pretty, but if I'm paying attention to vertical speed I can get the T-38 on the ground in one piece. Right now the sim is set up for others to use it, and the learning curve for flying the T-38 is many, many times steeper than any other aircraft loaded in the sim--I just find it surprising that 150kts touchdown speed with 100fpm descent rate (manual advises touchdown at 130 kts) is enough to break an aircraft that's designed as a trainer...it should be a "rough" landing in my mind, but certainly not a crash.

Out of curiosity, are any of you guys using the T-38A in Prepar3d Professional?

Krazycolin
Site Admin

Post by Krazycolin » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:02 pm

It flies exactly the same way in all the sims.

Note that though it's a trainer... it's a far more difficutl plane to fly than a modern day fighter is. And with good reason... If you can fly this... you can fly just about anything... (that's also the reason for the IP in the back...)

Firecapt32

Post by Firecapt32 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:47 pm

I had an issue with the T-38 ADV crashing on roll-out and takeoff at an airport in the Bahamas. Turned out the runway was gravel and the T-38 didn't like gravel. Moved it to another airport and all was fine. This is a tough airplane to land even in the best conditions. It took me a couple tries to master it. I would fly some patterns at a super-long runway like Edwards AFB and just take your time letting it settle onto the pavement until you get the feel of it.

Victory103

Post by Victory103 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:07 pm

The next time you have a chance to check out a static T-38 at an air show, look at the main gear. I was very surprised at how skinny and small they seem for a "trainer" that is going to have some rough landings by students. I'll run a test with the non-ADV in FSX-Acc to see if I can break it.

JulietKiloMike

Post by JulietKiloMike » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:32 am

Thanks for your input guys, the model is working, as long as it's landed *gently*, and I guess that's the way we'll keep things for now. Happy Flying!

-John

Return to “Northrop T-38A Support Forum”