Incomplete removal on uninstallation?

Find out more before you buy, or chat to other F-15E pilots!
(No support requests please)
nomorebigpic
Incomplete removal on uninstallation?

Post by nomorebigpic » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:58 pm

I had installed the F-15E into P3Dv4, and then found it not terribly workable (I knew it was designed for FSX but sometimes these things work, sometimes they don't) so removed it. Or so I thought. When I try and reinstall it, to FSX/SE this time, the installer simply goes straight to the P3Dv4 directory and re-installs it there - I don't get the option to specify the install location. I searched the registry to see if I could find an obvious key for the F15 that might be causing this but didn't spot anything.

I know there's an F15C coming for P3D and I will buy that when it arrives, and I don't use FSX apart from situations like this when I really can't get something to fly in P3D, but it would be nice to get the F15E in place on my FSX just so I can see how it all hangs together.

Any advice on how to reset the install process to genuinely start fro, clean again?

JonathanBleeker
Re: Incomplete removal on uninstallation?

Post by JonathanBleeker » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:08 pm

Unfortunately not....I have no idea how you managed to get it to install into P3D v4 in the first place.

nomorebigpic

Post by nomorebigpic » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:23 pm

Hi Jonathan, unfortunately, I don't remember how I did it either. I would either have just specified my P3Dv4 directory as the install target or used a fake FSX directory (empty apart from the .exe) and then copied everything across manually. That's pretty much all I do these days to try these unofficial installs. I used to use the Migration Tool a while back but stopped using it a couple of years ago.

I guess my question is really - does the F15E install executable put anything in the registry to record where it did its install? That's the only reason I can think of for it not asking for a target directory on re-installation. Can't see anything in APPDATA to cover it.

Not a major issue, it would just be nice to have a brief play with it in FSX, but if I have to wait for the F15C so be it.

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:46 pm

If it does I don't know of it. I don't have the installer script code unfortunately.

nomorebigpic

Post by nomorebigpic » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:53 pm

JonathanBleeker wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:46 pm
If it does I don't know of it. I don't have the installer script code unfortunately.
Ok, don't worry - I'll either figure it out or live with it for now.

Thanks for your responses,

cheers,

Andy

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:28 pm

None of our installers write any Registry entries. You probably used the "Browse" button in the installer to navigate to your P3D folder. You could use the same method to point to your FSX folder.

nomorebigpic

Post by nomorebigpic » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:31 pm

N4GIX wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:28 pm
None of our installers write any Registry entries. You probably used the "Browse" button in the installer to navigate to your P3D folder. You could use the same method to point to your FSX folder.
Hi Bill, if the installer gave me the option that's exactly what I would do, but it just goes whirring away on its own, says it's deleted the old files, and then goes ahead and reinstalls into my P3Dv4 folder. I never get any say in it.

But, like I say, I'll live with it. I've just copied (moved) all the relevant files from the P3D folder to my Steam FSX folder and it seems to be running ok there. I was just initially hoping to do a guaranteed clean re-install. 'Tis a minor thing, and I'll have the F15C for my P3D environment as soon as you guys release it so my hangar won't be missing the Eagle for too long, hopefully.

I'll just file it as another one of those little mysteries.

cheers,

Andy

Return to “McDonnell Douglas F-15C & F-15E General Forum”