User Guide to F-86 NDB Navigation?

Find out more before you buy, or chat to other Sabre pilots!
(No support requests please)
Nullack
User Guide to F-86 NDB Navigation?

Post by Nullack » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:45 am

Hey guys. Has anyone done a video guide or anything for how to setup the F-86 with NDB and ADF? I've searched the forum and found some written discussion but I'm a bit lost especially on how to enter the right frequencies. For example:

ID Name Freq Bearing / Range
VOT CB CANBERRA 263 026° 0.9
VOT HSK CANBERRA 272 168° 2.0
VOT GLB GOULBURN 407 029° 40.1
VOT COM COOMA 293 178° 63.7

Above is a table of some NDBs used in an area around Canberra Australia that I sim with. I've tried switching to ANT and having CW on, but I get kinda stuck. I fully understand it doesnt do VORs or VORDMEs, so I'm trying to do it via NDBs and ADF.

I've also spotted a bug but I'll wait to report that once roadburner440 has received and actioned my email to add me to the support area. This post is just user talk about NDB navigation in the Sabre not a support matter.

Thanks

Nullack
Re: User Guide to F-86 NDB Navigation?

Post by Nullack » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:22 am

Well if no one else has done it I'll look into it. Without an autopilot, and especially given the (awesome) difficulty in handling this airplane, it's easy to loose it in IMC and totally end up up side down and crashing coming through clouds. I'm finding in IMC it requires intense concentration to maintain straight and level, especially with allot of winds and other weather effects when your doing 400 knots indicated plus. Its a challenge for sure.

JonathanBleeker
Re: User Guide to F-86 NDB Navigation?

Post by JonathanBleeker » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:37 am

I thought I responded but somehow must have missed it....

You can click on the glass of the frequency dial and you will get the ADF frequency in text at the bottom left of the gunsight. To get needle indications, set the mode knob to the ANT position. For tuning you would first select the major band range with the main knob (eg for 263Khz set it to the 200-410 position) and then use the mouse wheel on the tuning crank until you are roughly at 263 on the dial. Then fine tune until you get a signal strength (or set frequency directly using the indicator text in the gunsight). There is a hidden clickspot at the base of the tuning crank which will allow greater increments when tuning.

Return to “North American F-86 General Forum”