P-38 Tacpack gun problem

Chat to other Redbullers!
(No support requests please)
alienel
Re: P-38 Tacpack gun problem

Post by alienel » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:02 pm

Hello Dave. I am not sure I understand you fully about configuring FSUIPC. Its my understanding that FSUIPC requires you to disable the controller in FSX,therefore when I configure the tacpack I enable keyboard commands to be triggered with a joystick button which I have done and FSUIPC accepts the commands. Pickle always worked but not the trigger even when trying different buttons.

I will configure tacpack selecting joystick as the controller using the trigger and a button on my joystick for trigger and pickle. I will disable the controller in FSX and make sure none of the default key commands conflict with FSUIPC.
Next I will re enable FSUIPC removing the trigger command from FSUIPC (I expect I need to remove the command for Pickle as well ?).

I will give this a try and hope I am understanding you correctly. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused anyone. I might have thought I was using FSUIPC correctly but admit I have only just scratched the surface in configuring it.
I will report back and let you know if I have had any success. Thank you very much for your suggestions and help.

Alan

alienel

Post by alienel » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:15 pm

I have tried using FSUIPC again with controller being set in tacpack manager and selecting a trigger and pickle button. I did as you suggested and deleted the key command assignment in FSUIPC.
When there is no key commands in FSUIPC I get no response from the trigger or pickle. I am a little confused making sure FSUIPC is not using a key command. Within FSUIPC there are many options
such as buttons and switches,key presses,joystick calibration etc. What I don't understand about deleting the key commands in FSUIPC is don't you have to use something to tie your trigger and pickle choices
in the tacpack manager to FSUIPC?.

I have tried using no key commands in FSUIPC with controller disabled and enabled in FSX and the weapons don't fire. I have tried options such as sending commands from FSUIPC to fire primary and secondary weapons
with the key commands deleted and nothing happens. Maybe you could tell me what joystick you are using and clearly show what you are doing in FSUIPC to get the trigger and pickle working.
I thought that within tacpack manager trigger and pickle by default always use cntrl+shift+v and cntrl+shift+c.

In my earlier post I told Krazycollin that FSX didnt recognize the two position trigger on my X52 pro joystick. In fact when the trigger is pulled to select an assignment, FSX only recognizes one position and calls it button 1.
In the tacpack manager pulling the trigger recognizes the first position as 0 and position 2 as 1. in any case I can use all the weapons on the P-38 with FSUIPC disabled and I am able to use the main trigger on my joystick
to fire guns. I am just glad to be able to use the P-38 tacpack guns and rockets and can easily control the plane without FSUIPC.

Maybe I am having trouble with FSUIPC because I only have basic knowledge of its use. I do read the manual and have continued to refer to the manual when setting up FSUIPC.
Maybe I am just not following what you described to do or I just don't no how to correctly use FSUIPC. I will read the manual some more and possibly try to talk to Mr. Dowson to get FSUIPC configured properly.
Thanks for all your help
Alan (Very Happy with the P-38 tacpack)

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:37 pm

Ok let me see if I understand you correct....you were setting your trigger and pickle to keyboard combos and then setting your joystick buttons in FSUIPC to trigger the keyboard events?

In TPM you can set your trigger and pickle directly to joystick buttons. Simply click on the little circle labelled controller, click Rescan, select your joystick from the dropdown menu, click on the trigger box and press the button you want to use (if its button 1 on your stick it will show up as button 0), and do the same for the pickle. Then they will be directly passed to TACPACK trigger functions.

sieggie

Post by sieggie » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:20 pm

The Tacpack manager wants to takes control of the trigger and pickle so you should not have them configured in FSUIPC or FSX for a Tacpack enabled aircraft. Tackpack needs to be in charge of things it is responsible for. I think configuring FSX or FSUIPC to control gun firing commands, send the commands directly to FSX, bypassing the Tacpack logic. Using FSUIPC for other things like the gear, throttle, mixture or flaps that Tacpack does not care about is fine.

Dave

alienel

Post by alienel » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:55 am

Yes I initially set up FSUIPC as you described but after your suggestion to delete the keyboard combos I switched the tacpack manager to use the controller not the keyboard.
When I look in the tacpack manager the keyboard selection always has the default key combos listed by default but I switched to the controller and set my trigger and pickle to
button 0 and 1.
When you say"configuring FSX or FSUIPC to control gun firing commands,send the commands directly to FSX,by bypassing the tacpack logic." Are you using FSUIPC for your trigger and pickle?
When you send the commands directly to FSX in FSUIPC what commands are you using?

I do use FSUIPC to control my primary flight controls and various other tasks in FSX but correct me if I am wrong. Are you using FSX to control gun firing with default cntrl+shift+v and cntrl+shift+c ?
and then using FSUIPC for your other flight controls?

Thanks for taking the time to help with this. If I can get this sorted out I will indeed report back. I will try FSUIPC again but my problem is if I use FSUIPC for trigger and pickle what commands do I send
directly to FSX within FSUIPC ? In your description it sounds like "bypassing the tacpack logic" means to use FSX for gun firing.

Alan

sieggie

Post by sieggie » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:13 pm

I do not use FSUIPC or FSX to control the trigger or pickle on any Tacpack enabled planes, only the Tacpack manager. FSUIPC is used for all the axis controls of all aircraft as it is easy to vary what the axis control on a plane by plane basis. Pretty much anything that gets individualized on a plane by plane basis will be controlled by FSUIPC as FSX is an all or nothing configuration. On planes without Tacpack, I will use FSUIPC for the trigger as it allows configuration per aircraft and the trigger control for non-Tacpack planes varies wildly.

Dave

alienel

Post by alienel » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:20 pm

I have been doing some more testing with tacpack manager set to controller with joy buttons set to 0 and 1 for trigger and pickle. So far my tacpack aircraft will not fire guns
with the FSUIPC commands removed. I am trying to just let the tacpack manager handle the trigger and pickle but have not had any success.

I use windows 8.1 currently and have always ran FSX with administrator privileges so I thought that I would try to run FSX without administrator privileges as is recommended with the Superbug.
I can get FSX running without administrator privileges but still can't get TPM to use my selected trigger and pickle with TPM controller selected.

I did however get all of the tacpack aircraft trigger and pickle buttons 0 and 1 on my joystick working having TPM set to keyboard and using the key commands in FSUIPC.
When I had tried not using FSUIPC for my flight controls, I was getting the dreaded controller drop off which is not acceptable.

So for now with administrator privileges disabled and using keyboard commands in TPM everything is working fine.
I just can't get TPM to use my selected trigger and pickle when TPM is set to controller with the FSUIPC key commands removed.

Thanks again I am still going to try to sort this out in my spare time. If I can figure this out I will report back.
Alan

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:24 pm

I guess whatever works works.

tailspin45

Post by tailspin45 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:37 am

Wakeie,wakeie old thread. Now Nov 2017 and I have the same problem albeit with Win 10.

And nothing I've tried will fire the guns except pushing the VC yoke button.

TPM manager set either way makes no difference, FUSIPC on or off makes no difference. Ditto SPAD.neXT.

Had anyone else here found a solution?

doodlebug

Post by doodlebug » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:44 am

Old thread in the wrong forum => the P-38 redux didn't have TP.
Send me your proof of purchase (email addy in sig) and we'll get you access to the P-38L support forum.

jeffu

Post by jeffu » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:50 am

Hi ,I also have this gun problem with the p38 and I don't use FSUIPC .
My other milviz sims work fine with TACPACK guns and all.

doodlebug

Post by doodlebug » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:51 pm

Old thread in the wrong forum => the P-38 redux didn't have TP.
Send me your proof of purchase (email addy in sig) and we'll get you access to the P-38L support forum.

Return to “Lockheed P-38 Redux General Forum”