P-38 Tacpack gun problem

Chat to other Redbullers!
(No support requests please)
alienel
P-38 Tacpack gun problem

Post by alienel » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:06 am

P-38 Tacpack guns seem to have some bugs on my system. I have read anything I can find about guns on this forum but have not found a solution.
I can't get the trigger on my joystick to work when mapped in tacpack manager. The trigger works with my other tacpack aircraft and my X-52 pro joystick.
I am using the current paid FSUIPC and have my trigger mapping set to Joy button 0 = Key press cntrl+shift+ V. This works on the Superbug and other tacpack aircraft.
Pressing the keyboard cntrl+shift+v at first did nothing but if I used the mouse to click on the control yoke the guns would fire but bullets didn't impact the ground.

I have used the reload function numerous times testing the guns and have all my switches set correctly.I started changing liveries at one point just to see if this made any difference and when I turned on the master lighting switches
on the right console and pressed cntrl+shift+v on the keyboard the guns began firing constantly while not holding the key press. When the guns were constantly firing the bullets were clearly impacting the ground and a sim connect error popped up on my screen.
The error said to turn down ai aircraft more than 1000 requests for ai aircraft made.

I have my pickle mapped in tacpack manager to joy button 1 and in FSUIPC Joy button 1 = cntrl+shift+ c. My pickle mapping fires the rockets perfectly and I can reload rockets and fire with no problems.
I would really like to get the guns functioning properly using my joystick and FSUIPC but can"t get the trigger to work with joystick. Pressing the trigger on the yoke with the mouse fires the guns but no impacts occur pressing yoke button.
I have tried everything mentioned in the forum to no avail. The guns just don't work for me.
I read that there was an update available but am not sure if I have the updated version

I purchased my FSX P-38 Tacpack version from The Flightsim Pilot Shop and run FSX acceleration on a very high end system. I really hope there is a way to get the guns mapped and working on this great aircraft. I am baffled by what I have tried so far.

JonathanBleeker
Re: P-38 Tacpack gun problem

Post by JonathanBleeker » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:32 am

There have been some updates since that resolve this....Im not sure if FSPilotshop has them. KC?

Krazycolin
Site Admin

Post by Krazycolin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:36 am

I have sent them the files. Not much more I can do

alienel

Post by alienel » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:45 am

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I just visited the Flightsim pilot shop website and can confirm that under the product information for the purchase of the FSX Milviz P-38 Tacpack
they list that if I need technical support to contact Milviz with an included link to this forum.
I would certainly hope they would update there files if they have been provided but I guess I should have just made my purchase from your site directly.
I have made a purchase from your site prior to buying the P-38.
I would just like to get the current version so that I can have all of the features working.I will certainly in the future obtain any of your products directly from your site as I am sure I can get more direct support.

Just for your information it looks as though any technical support seems to be little to none as well as no refunds on software downloads. Since you have provided the files to update the p-38 to the current version
I guess I will have to wait and see if they are indeed providing the most recent update. They don't seem to have a way to contact them about a specific manufacturers product except to contact Milviz.

Sorry for the long post but I just want a complete product.I know where I'll be making my Milviz purchases in the future

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:17 am

not quite....we do make considerable effort to provide support and solve problems. Its a little tough when vendors aren't prompt in updating though.

alienel

Post by alienel » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:23 pm

Hi. I just have one more question as I still can't get the guns working. The current installer from flightsim pilot shop is version 1.150610TP, do you know if this installer is the most recent version?
At the moment I am going to try to configure the guns to a different button on my joystick and see if this helps.
Thanks for your help with this I just feel that my P-38 is not complete until I can try some air to air gunnery but the rocket deployment and effects are just great.

Krazycolin
Site Admin

Post by Krazycolin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:43 am

That is the most recent update.

One thing that I would like you to try if you don't mind... remove or disable all FSUPIC stuff and or control mechanisms and then use a straight up keyboard assigned method for firing the guns. They work for all of us here and no one else has complained...

So as it's not repeatable, it's impossible for us to fix it...

alienel

Post by alienel » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:24 pm

Hello Krazycollin. Disabling FSUIPC worked. Guns are firing properly and the effects look absolutely great. I often suspected that FSUIPC might be the culprit.
Ever since the VRS Superbug and Tacpack have not required FSUIPC I had been reluctant to stop using it. I have been trying some tacpack mods on other aircraft and ran into similar problems with the trigger on my joystick.
I use the X52 pro joystick and the only thing I just discovered in FSX is that FSX does not like to recognize the two position trigger on this joystick.

This morning I simply disabled FSUIPC, reset my FSX controls with joystick enabled and my preferences. I used Button 1 and 2 on the joystick mapped to cntrl+shift+v and cntrl+shift+c then changed the tacpack manager to use my controller
mapped to my new trigger/ pickle and everything works perfectly.

Thank you very much for your help with this and I would just like to say again how great the weapons and effects are with this aircraft. I will be looking forward to the update on the F-4 and am dreaming of the day when the weapons systems
on your F-86 work like they do with the P-38.

N4GIX

Post by N4GIX » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:23 pm

Pete Dowson needs to be made aware of this issue so that he can either make suggestions on how to properly use FSUIPC in this instance or...

...if there is a real problem, find and fix it permanently.

sieggie

Post by sieggie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:25 pm

I do not think the problem is with FSUIPC. I use it with all my TacPack aircraft and it works fine. I suspect that if the OP configures TacPack to detect the joystick button rather then a key stroke command and re-enables FSUIPC and removes the trigger command from FSUIPC, everything will work just fine.

Dave

alienel

Post by alienel » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:02 pm

Hello Dave. I am not sure I understand you fully about configuring FSUIPC. Its my understanding that FSUIPC requires you to disable the controller in FSX,therefore when I configure the tacpack I enable keyboard commands to be triggered with a joystick button which I have done and FSUIPC accepts the commands. Pickle always worked but not the trigger even when trying different buttons.

I will configure tacpack selecting joystick as the controller using the trigger and a button on my joystick for trigger and pickle. I will disable the controller in FSX and make sure none of the default key commands conflict with FSUIPC.
Next I will re enable FSUIPC removing the trigger command from FSUIPC (I expect I need to remove the command for Pickle as well ?).

I will give this a try and hope I am understanding you correctly. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused anyone. I might have thought I was using FSUIPC correctly but admit I have only just scratched the surface in configuring it.
I will report back and let you know if I have had any success. Thank you very much for your suggestions and help.

Alan

alienel

Post by alienel » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:15 pm

I have tried using FSUIPC again with controller being set in tacpack manager and selecting a trigger and pickle button. I did as you suggested and deleted the key command assignment in FSUIPC.
When there is no key commands in FSUIPC I get no response from the trigger or pickle. I am a little confused making sure FSUIPC is not using a key command. Within FSUIPC there are many options
such as buttons and switches,key presses,joystick calibration etc. What I don't understand about deleting the key commands in FSUIPC is don't you have to use something to tie your trigger and pickle choices
in the tacpack manager to FSUIPC?.

I have tried using no key commands in FSUIPC with controller disabled and enabled in FSX and the weapons don't fire. I have tried options such as sending commands from FSUIPC to fire primary and secondary weapons
with the key commands deleted and nothing happens. Maybe you could tell me what joystick you are using and clearly show what you are doing in FSUIPC to get the trigger and pickle working.
I thought that within tacpack manager trigger and pickle by default always use cntrl+shift+v and cntrl+shift+c.

In my earlier post I told Krazycollin that FSX didnt recognize the two position trigger on my X52 pro joystick. In fact when the trigger is pulled to select an assignment, FSX only recognizes one position and calls it button 1.
In the tacpack manager pulling the trigger recognizes the first position as 0 and position 2 as 1. in any case I can use all the weapons on the P-38 with FSUIPC disabled and I am able to use the main trigger on my joystick
to fire guns. I am just glad to be able to use the P-38 tacpack guns and rockets and can easily control the plane without FSUIPC.

Maybe I am having trouble with FSUIPC because I only have basic knowledge of its use. I do read the manual and have continued to refer to the manual when setting up FSUIPC.
Maybe I am just not following what you described to do or I just don't no how to correctly use FSUIPC. I will read the manual some more and possibly try to talk to Mr. Dowson to get FSUIPC configured properly.
Thanks for all your help
Alan (Very Happy with the P-38 tacpack)

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:37 pm

Ok let me see if I understand you correct....you were setting your trigger and pickle to keyboard combos and then setting your joystick buttons in FSUIPC to trigger the keyboard events?

In TPM you can set your trigger and pickle directly to joystick buttons. Simply click on the little circle labelled controller, click Rescan, select your joystick from the dropdown menu, click on the trigger box and press the button you want to use (if its button 1 on your stick it will show up as button 0), and do the same for the pickle. Then they will be directly passed to TACPACK trigger functions.

sieggie

Post by sieggie » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:20 pm

The Tacpack manager wants to takes control of the trigger and pickle so you should not have them configured in FSUIPC or FSX for a Tacpack enabled aircraft. Tackpack needs to be in charge of things it is responsible for. I think configuring FSX or FSUIPC to control gun firing commands, send the commands directly to FSX, bypassing the Tacpack logic. Using FSUIPC for other things like the gear, throttle, mixture or flaps that Tacpack does not care about is fine.

Dave

alienel

Post by alienel » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:55 am

Yes I initially set up FSUIPC as you described but after your suggestion to delete the keyboard combos I switched the tacpack manager to use the controller not the keyboard.
When I look in the tacpack manager the keyboard selection always has the default key combos listed by default but I switched to the controller and set my trigger and pickle to
button 0 and 1.
When you say"configuring FSX or FSUIPC to control gun firing commands,send the commands directly to FSX,by bypassing the tacpack logic." Are you using FSUIPC for your trigger and pickle?
When you send the commands directly to FSX in FSUIPC what commands are you using?

I do use FSUIPC to control my primary flight controls and various other tasks in FSX but correct me if I am wrong. Are you using FSX to control gun firing with default cntrl+shift+v and cntrl+shift+c ?
and then using FSUIPC for your other flight controls?

Thanks for taking the time to help with this. If I can get this sorted out I will indeed report back. I will try FSUIPC again but my problem is if I use FSUIPC for trigger and pickle what commands do I send
directly to FSX within FSUIPC ? In your description it sounds like "bypassing the tacpack logic" means to use FSX for gun firing.

Alan

Return to “Lockheed P-38 Redux General Forum”