Milviz and FSX development

News - all the news for those who don't like social media!

Moderator: N4GIX

Krazycolin
Site Admin
Milviz and FSX development

Post by Krazycolin » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:04 am

Hi all.

Though we know there's going to be some lash back on this... we have decided to no longer support FSX or, in fact, anything less than P3D v4.4.

If you'd like our reasons and can still see clearly, please read on:

The main issue isn't code though it, too, is one of the problems. It's the materials. Once we switch over to PBR, it's exceedingly costly and difficult to match what's in that over to FSX materials. And it's a lot more difficult to maintain two distinct model/material sets. We did ask LM to allow for this but...

The next issue is, of course, code. There are many things that are able to be done in 64 bit that cannot be done in 32 bit. This basically means, coding in two streams. One of which, no disrespect, is not as nice (dumber) than the other.

We'd much rather go with the nice stuff and put our efforts into making our products look AND act great.

As well, for those of you who insist that LM's EULA says that it MUST be for education... I put it to you that you're always learning. If not, you're pretty much dead anyway. This is the whole point of buying an addon. To learn how to fly it as well as appreciate what it took to fly it in real life. That, my friends, is education and, by my book, is covered.

I know there will be some who will diss us on this and others that will "never" buy our stuff again... That's ok. For us, this is much like the switch over from FS9 to FSX. That was hard too. In the end, it was worth it.

That is all.

Thanks

MV Direction.
Creative Director and chooser of planes.

Lewicide
Re: Milviz and FSX development

Post by Lewicide » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:06 am

Good luck and fair sailing in your new direction
As an FSX user there are still two (I think, its not just my eyes but memory too) Milviz
products I need to get to complete the set, the F100 and T38c

Thanks for all the great aircraft and great support

Lew

wgsheridan

Post by wgsheridan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:16 pm

Although I am still an FSX user, I can completely understand the decision not to develop any more aircraft for 32-bit sims given the limitation of these platforms and the decision doesn't really surprise me. Indeed those of us who still use FSX are lucky to have a huge number of great aircraft available for that platform even if no more are ever developed including many excellent examples from Milviz for which we must be very grateful. As someone who has quite a few Milviz aircraft, I am however a little concerned by the phrase "no longer support FSX" in your announcement. Does this mean that existing customers using FSX (or those who buy your products for FSX from now on) will no longer be able to access Milviz support for these or am I (hopefully) reading too much into that sentence?

Bill
Bill

i7-3770K 3.5GHz; 16GB RAM; 2 GB video RAM; Win 7 64-bit; FSX Accel; CH Pro Yoke and Pedals; AS16 with ASCA + Envtex weather textures; FSIPanel; SIMstarter NG; almost everything Orbx; more addon sceneries and aircraft than I will ever need :) !

SnuffyTheMongoose

Post by SnuffyTheMongoose » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:56 pm

We will continue to provide support for all of our existing payware products. FSX included. However, as time goes on, these will be phased out.

wgsheridan

Post by wgsheridan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:39 pm

Understood! Thank you for the reassurance.
Bill

i7-3770K 3.5GHz; 16GB RAM; 2 GB video RAM; Win 7 64-bit; FSX Accel; CH Pro Yoke and Pedals; AS16 with ASCA + Envtex weather textures; FSIPanel; SIMstarter NG; almost everything Orbx; more addon sceneries and aircraft than I will ever need :) !

vgbaron

Post by vgbaron » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:23 pm

Sounds like a great idea to me. It will keep your focus going forward which means better stuff for us.

IMHO, it took a set of brass ones to make that decision so bravo!

Vic
P3D#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - GTX1080ti 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR

James

Post by James » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:36 am

I made the change to Prepar3D to greatly enjoy the 64bit now a days software in August of 2018. I am now roughly 8 of 10 times selecting P3Dv4+ and 2 of 10 times in FSXSE. In FSXSE 32bit I am always expecting the out of memory pop up at some point even if it does not happen. In Prepar3D 64bit that is a nightmare long gone plus graphics / light reflections way better and stable. So needless to say you did not loose me as a long time customer and glad you are moving forward with the times not staying stuck in the past. Best Regards! James

rohan

Post by rohan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:16 am

So - what does this mean for products that have already been in development for such a long time, like the Avanti and King Air ? Will we see these released for FSX and P3Dv3, or are you dropping these product variants after you have teased us about them for so long ?

SnuffyTheMongoose

Post by SnuffyTheMongoose » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:27 am

They are being dropped for FSX. All new aircraft will be for P3D only. (there's a SLIGHT chance that we will also dev for XP but that remains up in the air)

WilliamG

Post by WilliamG » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:28 pm

"Once we switch over to PBR"

What is PBR? (besides river patrol boats and beer for those who are palate challenged)

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:05 pm

Physically Based Rendering.
-JB

Milviz R&D Lab dev/Resident PITA Perfectionist.

Please read the manual before posting. You will learn quicker than if I act as your instructor.

Maryadi

Post by Maryadi » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:06 am

I was shocked when Colin said to me 2 day ago... some kind I doesn't believe.
maintain several platform isn't easy. then here we go ...

Now, I need to consider with new system. my laptop couldn't afford P3D v4.4 just for medium setting.
just said.

DLRK

Post by DLRK » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:10 am

So, no KA for FSX/FSXSE? What about X-Plane? If not that is very disappointing. Why isn't X-Plane certain? Unlike P3D, it is officially sold to the entertainment simulation audience, and it doesn't run the risk of a EULA being enforced any moment.

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:52 am

Because good X-Plane devs are hard to get, and our in house devs are tied up with enough on their plates already without adding learning XP methods to their burdens.
-JB

Milviz R&D Lab dev/Resident PITA Perfectionist.

Please read the manual before posting. You will learn quicker than if I act as your instructor.

Alvaro

Post by Alvaro » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:43 am

I would not have explained it better, Jon. ;)

Return to “News”