Could it be possible turbine icing.

bobsk8
Could it be possible turbine icing.

Post by bobsk8 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:27 pm

Not sure icing is modeled in the 407, but this is what happened on an approach to Everett Washington this morning using AS16 real weather. The temperature was about 7 C and the dewpoint was 6C. I flew about 20 minutes and was on approach to the landing at about 500 feet AGL, and the engine rpm light came on and it dropped to about 65% and stayed there. I had previously turned on the Pitot heat, when I saw the temperature was that low but did not switch on the Turbine anti ice. I quickly switched on the Turbine heat after seeing the rpm drop ( whatever it is called) , but it seemed to have no effect I had just enough power to make a good landing, and at that point I started playing with the throttle and the mixture controls, and the collective, but nothing had any effect on increasing rotor RPMs or Turbine output, and all readings and warning lights seemed normal except the low power output and rpm. I then decided to switch off AS16, and as soon as I did, the RPM and engine power immediately increased to normal levels. I then turned on AS 16 again, and everything stayed at normal levels.

My question is, is turbine icing modeled in this copter, and if so, is it always a good idea to turn on engine anti ice when turning on Pitot heat. By the way, if it is modeled, that is pretty neat.

JonathanBleeker
Re: Could it be possible turbine icing.

Post by JonathanBleeker » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:41 pm

It might actually be the wind bug. What were the winds at?

bobsk8
Re: Could it be possible turbine icing.

Post by bobsk8 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:50 pm

JonathanBleeker wrote:It might actually be the wind bug. What were the winds at?
The wind was 140 at 11 knots. I was landing on the ILS to 160 R so almost directly into the wind. If it happens again, I will change the temperature in AS16, and if no effect, the wind. Acted More like a temp issue, I suspected inlet icing.

Return to “MV 407 Support Forum”