FSX Dead?

News - all the news for those who don't like social media!

Moderator: N4GIX

coochb
FSX Dead?

Post by coochb » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:27 am

Hi

I see that the Corsair, the latest release from Milviz, is for P3D only

Are all new releases going to be exclusively for P3D from now on?

Cheers

Krazycolin
Site Admin
Re: FSX Dead?

Post by Krazycolin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:42 am

The Corsair is, for contractual reasons, for P3D only. That said, we do plan on stopping dev work on FSX platforms soonish.
Creative Director and chooser of planes.

Kev2go

Post by Kev2go » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:44 pm

coochb wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:27 am
Hi

I see that the Corsair, the latest release from Milviz, is for P3D only

Are all new releases going to be exclusively for P3D from now on?

Cheers

because FSX is a obsolete and outright archaic sim by today's standards, that isn't optimized for newer systems to take greater advantage of more modern hardware. FOr me P3D even runs better than FSX ever did.

P3D based on the underlying FSX engine, however is vastly overhauled and continues to be updated. With current P3D Version Youve basically now have FSX as an 64 bit application, DX11 support, Volumetric Lightining ETC, Etc....

Its understandable why the Developers are finally moving on from FSX and onto P3D exclusively. I think it would be wasted effort to develop for FSX and P3D when one version has a future, and the other does not and has more limitations.

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:57 pm

Krazycolin wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:42 am
...we do plan on stopping dev work on FSX platforms soonish.
That'll go down well. :?

Krazycolin
Site Admin

Post by Krazycolin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:27 pm

@Ron. You may (or not) remember that we were the first to say that we would no longer dev for FS2004. Why? Because the writing was there for all who could see it.

That is the case now.
Creative Director and chooser of planes.

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:58 pm

I bow to your proven business sense. :)

ThomasAH

Post by ThomasAH » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:59 am

And I was the first to give his copy of FS2004 away to someone else when FSX arrived, but I'm still on the fence about my future direction. P3D? If yes, wait for P3Dv5? X-Plane 11? Or 12? Or even Aerofly FS2? All of them? ;-)
But for now I'll stay here where everything works fine.

Danno

Post by Danno » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:27 pm

If there is business sense to this, it’s understandable. Milviz, like all other payware developers, exist to make money. While that may seem harsh and perceived to be too blunt by some, that’s the reality of our world. It has given us simulator end-users some fantastic products that would not be possible without a paid development team. That being said, I am still saddened to hear FSX being passed over. My FSX is working flawlessly with many of the latest aircraft and scenery products available. I just don’t see a need to toss FSX away and start over with P3D. Some products would migrate easily. Others would require re-purchase costing many hundreds of dollars. So for now, P3D-only products will get a pass from me. I believe it’s inevitable FSX will get turfed by me but I expect that to be years from now.

JamesBoka

Post by JamesBoka » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:28 pm

I can't remember the last time I started FSX. My P3D v4.3 is working flawlessly at 4K with most settings maxed out on a nearly 5 year old i7-4790K with GTX-1080i graphics card. I have added all the latest ORBX, ASP4 + ASCA, TrackiR, ChasePlane, Ultimate Traffic Live, FS Global Ultimate - Next Generation, PrecipitFX, FSUIPC, and a handful of add-on planes. P3D is very stable. I will occasionally use FSX to fly some old missions, but it is mostly dead to me.

ThomasAH

Post by ThomasAH » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:56 am

My FSX+Acc is still very much alive, it even survived and upgrade of my mainboard+CPU, reactivation worked flawlessly.
I could probably spend all the money and time to upgrade to P3D and get from 98% to 99% in certain aspects of the sim, from 0% to 99% for some new aircraft not available for FSX, but I'd still lose the existing 98% for aircraft not available in P3D.

So for me the verdict still is: Sounds really nice, maybe at some point, but not yet.

Firecapt32

Post by Firecapt32 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:32 pm

I am a flight sim veteran. I go as far back as SubLogic's Flight Simulator II on my Commodore 64! I have owned every flight simulator that Microsoft has released. I was devastated when MS announced they were discontinuing the software. I still haven't made the jump to P3D. But for me, that seems like the next logical step. The problem is I've made a heck of a financial investment in FSX add-on's over the years. We're talking thousands of dollars. Some offer upgrades to P3D but not all. The clock is ticking on my old system. Once I invest in a new simming PC I'll probably make the leap to P3D.
I'm a Captain..... but a different kind.

fppilot

Post by fppilot » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:54 pm

Firecapt32 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:32 pm
I am a flight sim veteran. I go as far back as SubLogic's Flight Simulator II on my Commodore 64! I have owned every flight simulator that Microsoft has released. I was devastated when MS announced they were discontinuing the software. I still haven't made the jump to P3D. But for me, that seems like the next logical step. The problem is I've made a heck of a financial investment in FSX add-on's over the years. We're talking thousands of dollars. Some offer upgrades to P3D but not all. The clock is ticking on my old system. Once I invest in a new simming PC I'll probably make the leap to P3D.
Exactly where I am at. A new system, when it comes, will require sim installation from scratch. Not interested in spending that time with current system. Currently prefer to use that time flying.....