What are "V/D A" Approaches? [Answered - VOR/DME]

ChuckOman
What are "V/D A" Approaches? [Answered - VOR/DME]

Post by ChuckOman » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:41 pm

At many KA350i FMS airports, the Arrival/Approach index also lists "V/D A" approaches, in addition to the Navigraph IAP charted ones. These V/D A approaches typically include several RNAV waypoints near the airport - sometimes on on the RW FAC - often not. These "V/D A" are listed in addition to the simple RWxx visuals that have extended centerline and a 5 mile reference waypoint.

Anyone know what "V/D A" means, or how Navigraph chooses the V/D A waypoints ?

ChuckO

Slayer
Re: What are "V/D A" Approaches ?

Post by Slayer » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:03 pm

"Visual Descent Angle"

ChuckOman

Post by ChuckOman » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:29 am

Thx. So do you think of them as LNAV +V plus some convenient fixes leading to FAC or downwind?

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:38 pm

This can probably better explain it than I can:

https://www.rainierflightservice.com/bl ... 20altitude.

ChuckOman

Post by ChuckOman » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:18 pm

Steve -

Thanks so much for the link. Terminology has evolved, and has always confused me. It provides a great explanation.

Since Navigraph is now Jepp derived, presumably all the V/D As in the current databases meet the stepdown and MAP to threshold clearance issues...

I haven't been able to figure out why some of the V/D A IAPs in the Navigraph's database for the MV-21 include additional waypoints outside the FAF. Some are, but some others are head scratchers - clearly not IFs, IAPs or transitions, and don't appear on the current Navigraph Jepp charts. Guessing it must be a Navigraph thing.

Chuck

jarek

Post by jarek » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:31 pm

V/D stands for VOR/DME approach. A is procedure designation, according to the chart. Similarly, N/D stands for NDB/DME.

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:07 pm

jarek wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:31 pm
V/D stands for VOR/DME approach. A is procedure designation, according to the chart. Similarly, N/D stands for NDB/DME.
Thanks Jarek I stand corrected. :lol: but what is the A on the end then?

ChuckOman

Post by ChuckOman » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:51 pm

Hi Steve -

I think Jarkek is right that lettered V/D approaches are VOR DME circling approaches.
The letter designation ( e.g "A" or "B" or "C") indicates the approach has to be flown to circling minimums.

For example, KBOS offers a single VOR DME-A approach. It is from the southeast, with three successive fixes on the FAC, KYLE, MINNT and BEEJE. It is a classic GPS "T", since KYLE is the IF for transitions from IAFs BURDY to the south and TONNI to the north.

Since KBOS VOR DME-A is a circling approach that can be flown to any runway except 14, the MV B350i DEP ARR menu lists eleven V/D A approaches. I suppose this makes sense FMS guidance on the final leg to the runway remains possible.

The DEP ARR menu presentation at an airport like KBOS is crazy imposing, since it lists eleven ("count em"!) V/D A approaches - one for each runway you could legally circle to. But offering them all enables at least the possibility of VNAV guidance all the way to the selected runway during the visual segment. KYLES, the IF waypoint at the top of the "T" is not loaded unless you also select BURDY or TONNI transition.

So Navigraph got it right. If you select a lettered VOR DME approach IAP, just look in the DEP APP index for the V/D approach for the runway you'll circle to, select it and the closest transitions, so you have the IF and IAF legs for reference, even if you are on vectors.

Chuck
KBOS V.D A approaches.JPG
KBOS V.D A approaches.JPG (28.98 KiB) Viewed 513 times

Return to “K.A.350 Support Forum”