How to proceed to final approach?

seidel
How to proceed to final approach?

Post by seidel » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:14 pm

Hi.

Just accomplished two flights: EGPO Stornoway > EGPB Sumburgh ILS27 > EGPE Inverness ILS23.
Programmed the route with VOR and Waypoints - no problem for the AP to follow the routing. :)
Just be careful with sharp turns - watch your speed - it overshoots easily!

ILS/LOC:
But whats the correct procedure when turning final on the ILS? Should the FMS switch automatically to LOC1 (ILS freq set in box1) or do I have to switch manually "FMS > HDG > LOC1"? (I have the LOC indocation dotted in the background). :?

GS:
On both approaches the AP catched the GS - but then struggled to follow the path :shock: - had to disengage and fly manually :roll: .
The AP should be capable of flying down to minimums or am I wrong?

cu

FinnJacobsen
Re: How to proceed to final approach?

Post by FinnJacobsen » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:22 pm

I´m not sure either, but I had to manually change from FMS to VOR1 as Nav source, before pressing the APPR AP button - I have only tried twice though, so more testing is required.
But according to the FMS-3000 guide I have, this should occur automatically.

Glide slope works fine, but it´s important to to fly near approach ref. speed.

Looking forward to better documentation, as well as YT videos.

SAS443

Post by SAS443 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:50 pm

Milviz BE350i is capable of nav-to-nav capture (meaning you don't have to switch NAV-source from FMS to LOC when establishing on the localizer)

Check that you have the NAV radios to AUTO-tune and within 30nm of DEST aerodrome the airplane will preset LOC1 as nav source and its associated front course will be set as well (as indicated on the dashed cyan CDI)
nav2nav.jpg
nav2nav.jpg (143.56 KiB) Viewed 760 times

Prior to LOC-intercept (when flying FMS nav) simply push the APPR button on the autopilot which arms the LOC mode (and GS)

KenG

Post by KenG » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:54 pm

seidel wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:14 pm
GS:
On both approaches the AP catched the GS - but then struggled to follow the path :shock: - had to disengage and fly manually :roll: .
The AP should be capable of flying down to minimums or am I wrong?
Keep the MV350 above 120 KIAS and it follows GS better. Don't try to fly the entire approach at VREF speed, we generally don't do that in the real airplane as it will cause complaints by the jets following us at larger airports. Think of VREF as a threshold crossing speed not an approach speed.

FGS failure to follow GS below 120 KIAS is a known bug.

seidel

Post by seidel » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:02 pm

thank you, appreciate your feedbacks.

the approach speed I feel comfortable with this aircraft was about 130-135 kts

KenG

Post by KenG » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:30 pm

130 KIAS is fine. The MV airplane is a little slow to make changes. When did you configure for landing? Normally I like to get the flaps to approach and gear down about 2nm prior to the FAF.

Flaps full when landing assured (my technique as I don't like to drag full flaps all the way down an approach.)

-Ken

am.pharoah

Post by am.pharoah » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:59 pm

Hi ,

I noticed in this forum post it mentiones "make sure you have Nav Radios set to AUTO TUNE"

Please could anyone assist me by explaining how to do this.

When I left click the Nav 1 & 2 buttons they move from vertical to horizontal........

Thanks in anticipation

Andrew

Taguilo

Post by Taguilo » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:18 am

Hi Andrew,

First, be sure that your NAV source is FMS:

Sprite 7.jpg
Sprite 7.jpg (9.83 KiB) Viewed 641 times

Then, go to TUNE page in CDU and press either LSK 3L or 3R :

Sprite 22.jpg
Sprite 22.jpg (65.25 KiB) Viewed 641 times

Now press LSK 1R to change mode to AUTO (or Manual):

Sprite 40.jpg
Sprite 40.jpg (48.85 KiB) Viewed 641 times
And press TUNE to go back to main Tune page.

Same procedure in RTU:

Press LSK 2L twice, first to position the cursor and then to enter NAV page:

Sprite 62.jpg
Sprite 62.jpg (54.97 KiB) Viewed 641 times

Press LSK 2L to swap Tune Mode (Remote ON = AUTO)

AUTO mode reverts to Manual when NAV Source is different from FMS, or a NAV frequency is manually inserted, or NAV to NAV procedure is available and FMS has armed the Localizer frequency.

Hope this helps.

Tomas

tcarter.67

Post by tcarter.67 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:18 am

Guys, love this bird but this type of information is exactly why we need manuals or at least a very detailed tutorial.
I would love to be able to fly it accurately as possible but at this stage all we can do is pick up bits and pieces like this in random conversations that will be difficult to track down in future if we ever need to refresh our knowledge.
Please ......get this information down in one place so we have a fighting chance to make best use of it.

doodlebug

Post by doodlebug » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:02 pm

We are producing a series of video tutorials (accessible via the KA product page or via our YouTube Channel).
Production has stopped temporarily while we crush the remaining bugs. As soon as SP1 is ready we will start anew and hope to have a whole suite of video tutorials.

kevin_firth

Post by kevin_firth » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:52 pm

doodlebug wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:02 pm
We are producing a series of video tutorials (accessible via the KA product page or via our YouTube Channel).
Production has stopped temporarily while we crush the remaining bugs. As soon as SP1 is ready we will start anew and hope to have a whole suite of video tutorials.
I'm loving this aircraft, and picking my way through the forums to learn bits here and there :) Are there still likely to be any more video tutorials please?

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:43 pm

kevin_firth wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:52 pm
doodlebug wrote:
I'm loving this aircraft, and picking my way through the forums to learn bits here and there :) Are there still likely to be any more video tutorials please?
Production is finished on this , so it's doubtful.

kevin_firth

Post by kevin_firth » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:47 pm

Slayer wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:43 pm
kevin_firth wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:52 pm
doodlebug wrote:
Production is finished on this , so it's doubtful.
No worries thanks, will just have to figure things out the hard way :) just wondered if Ken would be doing any more of his video series.

Return to “K.A.350 Support Forum”