Engine Anti Ice settings? [Answered]

metzgergva
Engine Anti Ice settings? [Answered]

Post by metzgergva » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:34 pm

Just a question on learning the systems of the KA350:
By default, the Engine Anti Ice is set to ON and I also find that EAI is set to ON during the preparation work acc. checklist. As these are electrical heated tapes on the prop blades leading edges and the heated air intake openings, wouldn't they not only be needed if you have cold and wet temperatures when icing may occur?
I would understand that you switch them on to see if current is drawn as indication and assurance of functionality, but why leaving them on?

KenG
Re: Engine Anti Ice settings?

Post by KenG » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:17 pm

The engine anti-ice are internal ice vanes that direct the flow of air slightly down inside of the nacelle so that particles will exit the bottom of the nacelle and not enter the engine. They are used on the ground to help prevent Foreign Object Damage (FOD.)

They have two power sources that are checked during the runup. (We are working on that video as I had audio issues.)

jarek

Post by jarek » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:23 pm

What it really does is it changes geometry of internal air induction ducts using vanes. Air enters through the heated lips which are visible from outside, but before it reaches engine inlet, it needs to pass through some ducts. With vanes deployed the free air has to turns abruptly to enter the engine inlet. But rain or dust particles that may fly around on the airport are heavier and pass along straight path to the exhaust under the nacelle. It works similarly to the vacuum cleaner with inertia separator ;-)
Former models had special flap that could be seen under nacelle when it is deployed, 350i however doesn't have it, system was redesigned and it only changes internal geometry, so you will not see it form outside if EAI is on or off.

metzgergva

Post by metzgergva » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:27 pm

Thank you all for the explanation! Got it and understand that the props AI is activated by different switches.

jarek

Post by jarek » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:32 pm

Prop deice system is electric. For each function there is a switch here, it is bit crazy but at least flights here are not boring ;-)

meese91

Post by meese91 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:15 pm

Follow up, I would expect the modified air flow to change engine parameters, but as far as I can see nothing changes at all neither on ground nor in flight when switching on/off. Is this in the works?

MatzeH84

Post by MatzeH84 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:12 pm

Engine anti ice on actually increases the ITT a bit. This is already simulated. Give it some seconds, as the door needs some time to move to the fully closed/ open position and observe the white ITT needles of the engine instruments.

meese91

Post by meese91 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:54 am

Just a question on this since I have a difficult time finding any info from real life: Are various PT6 versions and aircraft adaptations really so different that a 20% torque difference exists in the TBM9xx with the vane in/out (at least in HotStart's version), while the KA only has a tiny change in ITT? I don't really doubt it since the PT6 has such a wide range of versions and implementations, but it's still really interesting to me how different the impact could be.

Victory103

Post by Victory103 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:07 am

The vanes out was more noticeable on the 200 based on the design in cruise flight. One has both the ITT increase, Torque decrease, and now cruise speed change. The same happens on the 350 with the -60 engine, just not as noticeable. Eng A/I comes into play on max take off performance numbers. Just a quick glance, with A/I on vs. off, I"m seeing a 10% torque diff in static power.

meese91

Post by meese91 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:14 am

Thanks very much!

Return to “K.A.350 Support Forum”