Tips for VRAM usage

scottgridley
Tips for VRAM usage

Post by scottgridley » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:18 pm

Hi all,
I am greatly enjoying this plane in P3Dv5HF2 (waiting for this plane to be updated before moving to v5.1), however it does use a lot of VRAM. I also see very little difference if any between choosing the "high res" option or not during installation. Are they any tips for minimizing VRAM consumption? I currently run at 1024x1024 "medium" texture setting in sim, and in scenery-heavy areas like KFLL I can easily exceed my 7.1GB available VRAM with this plane.

What does the "Render to transparent surface" do in MVAMS? Doesn't seem to matter for VRAM.

Thanks!
sg

Slayer
Re: Tips for VRAM usage

Post by Slayer » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:22 pm

An update download link was sent out to customers on October 27, so you may want to check your email.

Having the newest windows will net you another 600-700 MB of Vram on an 8GB card, but it looks like you may be running that if you have 7.1GB available.

Render to Transparent I believe will show effects on glass surfaces, that option was for some people having compatibility issues not as a VRAM saving measure.

Other than using the lower res textures there is not a whole lot else that can be done.

scottgridley

Post by scottgridley » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:29 pm

Thanks for the reply, Steve. Much appreciated.

I'm using the installer for version v1.1.40_20201015 which I believe is the latest. When I run that installer, I use the custom option to deselect the high-res option, but it doesn't seem to have any impact VRAM usage at all. Could be that because I have the global texture setting in the sim options set to 1024x1024 that sets the cap on texture resolution?

All the best!
sg

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:42 pm

If I remember correctly that P3D setting does not affect aircraft/VC resolution only scenery. Hard to say why you do not see a diff in Vram usage from deselecting the high res textures.

scottgridley

Post by scottgridley » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:49 am

Thanks Steve. I appreciate your attention. I'm not sure either.

Just an FYI, this is the highest consumer of VRAM in my fleet. I have Orbx true earth florida and FlyTampa KFLL and KMIA (both of the latter are VRAM hogs) but I can load PMDG 737 or AS A321 at KFLL for flights, but not the KA350i. I know I'm pushing things with DX12, but just trying to provide constructive feedback.

Return to “K.A.350 Support Forum”