Gear down, no greens!

Krazycolin
Site Admin
Re: Gear down, no greens!

Post by Krazycolin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:43 am

Even 5 times Ron.

If it happened twice and that's your intermittent, then I'm going with user error. Even twice. 10 times, that's an issue

Krazycolin
Site Admin

Post by Krazycolin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:15 am

I literally sat there in the VC and pressed the G key, waited till the gear was up, then pressed the G key till the gear was down and locked. Then repeated it 20 times. I then did the same with the handle and then with the switch on my Warthog.

I got greens across the board every single time. AFAIK, Brian used the default key for the gear so it pretty much has to work unless there's some kind of interference.

That said, I will ask him to take a look at this as well...

odourboy

Post by odourboy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi Ron, just reading this. I'm not at home this weekend so I can't test this myself or give you exact numbers, but it sounds like you exceeded the rated gear speed as configure in the aircraft.cfg, so the sim is declaring a gear failure. I think the speed is 230 kt (but that's from memory). AFAIK, it won't collapse on you, but you need to reload the A.C. to clear the failure.

You can test my theory by opening the gear at an excessive speed and see it it's repeatable. If this is the case and you really hate it, you can increase the parameter in the aircraft.cfg.

(Edit) It also possible that you exceeded the speed on takeoff, with the symptom only materializing when you dropped the gear on approach.

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:01 pm

Hooray! Going back to my opening post it IS a feature. Lower the gear at too high a speed and they 'shouldn't' come down. Perfectly understandable and laudable. All that is wrong with that is the wheels DO come down and lock. As far as increasing parameters, I'd rather pay the price for a mistake than 'cheat'. It would be nice if failed u/c-belly landing could be implemented but I guess that's too much to hope for. ;)
Amen to your EDIT. That's entirely possible! :(
I'm now content that the query has been answered. Thank you Brian.

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:34 pm

Just to wind this up, We did a flight this evening with several stops and three greens every time. It was indeed speed sensitivity, I trained myself to slow till the 'Gear not down' warning started THEN lowered them. On take off, get 'em up as soon as possible. A terrific flight in a great airplane!

odourboy

Post by odourboy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:12 am

Glad this is sorted out! Thanks for the follow-up.

Return to “North American F100D Support Forum”