Engine Instrument Problems - New Download

Davey-G
Engine Instrument Problems - New Download

Post by Davey-G » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:33 am

So, I have just acquired, via ORBX, the DHC 2 Beaver and I am having a problem following the download. Having downloaded through ORBX I opened FSX to have a look at the new aircraft and initial views were positive until --- I noticed that the engine instruments were not registering at all. I took it for a quick flight anyway, primarily to discover if anything else was inop. All of the flight instruments operated just fine and all of the flying controls were good too, the aircraft flew very nicely. Flaps, throttle, mixture all worked with the axes/buttons assigned on the throttle but the prop lever wouldn’t move using the assigned key, although the RPM did change. The buttons on the stick were not so effective.
This is what I see.

Prop: With assigned key RPM changes but lever doesn’t move.
Dragging the lever with the mouse, no RPM change

MP: Stuck at zero. Engine responds to throttle and lever moves.

CHT: No indication
Temp: No indication
Oil Press: No indication
Fuel Press: No indication
Fuel level: All indicators at full and didn’t change during flight.

Oil & Fuel Press lights on – with zero oil & fuel pressure that’s probably correct.

Fuel selector will not toggle to off
Mag Switch will not toggle to off

Depressing the assigned landing light key, the light illuminates and immediately goes off
Operation of landing light switch with mouse - light comes on and stays on.
Other cockpit switches seem to function with mouse

Starter switch with mouse initiates starter motor but it stops immediately without releasing the switch. Does not start the engine

I have taken advice from Osh and this is what I have done:

Attempted to download XML Tools file – would not install.

Uninstalled and reinstalled (in ORBX) as administrator having first disabled all anti virus etc (twice). No change.

Downloaded the latest Beaver patch 171229 to FSX…….SimObjects/Airplane. No change.

This is what I have:

Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle & Stick

Windows 10 to Build 18362.1082

System:

MSI B450 Gaming Carbon Pro AC
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI RT5700XT
16GB DDR4 3600

Any help appreciated but please bear in mind that I am no computer wizard and I do not really want to spend a lot more time than I already have (about 4 hours) trying to fix this. It would appear, from viewing the Forum that this is not a new problem

Davey-G
Re: Engine Instrument Problems - New Download

Post by Davey-G » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:20 am

To add to the above I have noted that after opening FSX SE, selecting the MIlViz Beaver and finding that the defect outlined persists, if I attempt to change the aircraft FSX SE shuts down and I get the following pop up:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library. Run time error.
C/Programme Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/FSX/FSX.exe
R6025 - pure virtual function call

If I open and use FSX SE without selecting the Beaver none of this happens; everything runs correctly and closes down without incident.

doodlebug

Post by doodlebug » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:44 am

Davey-G

Post by Davey-G » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:13 am

So, after hours of stumbling around and making absolutely no progress I came across this post

'viewtopic.php?f=137&t=10928&sid=717df26 ... 2bb3bb1023

which at least gave me a path to follow. I pretty quickly discovered that dll.xml was present and where it should be but there was no XMLTools.dll anywhere. Now, Osh gave me a download link for XMLTools.dll - but it hadn't work sadly. So I found myself stumbling around again - and I did, quite by chance, stumble across:

[https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resou ... r-fsx.131/][/url]

which presented me with a free and functioning download link for XMLTools for FSX and P3D. I downloaded an FSX version and, bingo. The DHC2 Beaver gauges and peripheral binds are now all working.

I note that the referenced post above is over one year old and there are several other posts that I saw that were reporting issues of a similar nature, so this is obviously not a new problem that has faced MilViz customers. I question why this persists and there has been no resolution to avoid the frustration? I am not in the habit of buying a new product and then having to spend hours repairing it before I can use it.

I also note that, when I access the Milviz Forum I get a big red pop up that says "NOT SECURE'.

I also am not a fan of having to disable all PC security measures to install the goods in the first place. I doubt that I will be back to this arena any time soon.

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:39 am

Sorry for your troubles. The XMLTOOLS issue has been identified and brought to Orbx attention. They use a slightly different install routine and it wasn't getting installed in all cases.

Outside of that the reason it sometimes doesn't get installed is because not running the installer as admin, antivirus and/or corrupt sim installation ( from reinstalling etc etc)

Return to “DHC-2 Beaver Support Forum”