Ram Air Turbine Handle Location

rnurse.bc
Ram Air Turbine Handle Location

Post by rnurse.bc » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:43 am

Good day,

Where can I find the RAM Air Conrol Handle in the F4 J/S? I see in the manual that it is in the Front Cockpit, left side, but I cannot find it.

Thank you

JonathanBleeker
Re: Ram Air Turbine Handle Location

Post by JonathanBleeker » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:06 pm

We weren't able to find a visual reference for it in order to add it to the model, so I made it a key assignment in the MVAMS.

rnurse.bc

Post by rnurse.bc » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:16 pm

Ok, thank you

rnurse.bc

Post by rnurse.bc » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:26 pm

I absolutely do not see thaqt anywhere in the MVAMS. Can you say exactly where?

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:58 am

My bad. Its been a long time so my memory is fuzzy. There was talk of adding it to the MVAMS but I think in the end it was decided to make it automatically deployed.

rnurse.bc

Post by rnurse.bc » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:50 pm

No, I had an engine flameout in flight, but the RAT did not deploy. What I notice happens with the F4 J/S is that if you switch the Generators from GEN to off, the engines shut down. It's another way to turn off the engines! See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afeynvaIUdo

So, when that the engine failed in me in flight, the GEN's turned off, so the engine turned off as well. No RAT deployed.

Also, the navigation computer of the J/S does not follow the points correctly. See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJMOilju8lM

(Both unlisted videos)
I realise that the present position on the Navigation Computer as the aircraft moves is always different from the Shift+Z position. TheNavigation Computer does not allign well during flight, and develops a variance.

I belive that you may have accepted these issues by now as you are busy on other projects.

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:13 am

Weird...I will check with our ADV dev. Its been so long I think we are all rather rusty on this bird (Going through the code I see I have made a lot of assumptions).

And yes an inflight alignment is always going to be very iffy. That's why it is a good idea to tune a TACAN that you have the lat/lon for and periodically update the present position values on the nav computer until the TACAN distance and nav point distance and bearing match (put TACAN lat/lon into destination) . If the navigation computer is operating in air data mode it will be even more inaccurate (CEP of 10+nm is common).

rnurse.bc

Post by rnurse.bc » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:17 pm

Ok I see, so the Navigation Computer issue is actually as desired then? Because the manual actually says to update the Nav Computer periodically against a Tacan.

Thank you

JonathanBleeker

Post by JonathanBleeker » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:53 pm

Correct

Return to “McDonnell Douglas F-4 J/S ADVANCED Support Phorum”