OOM with the DHC-3, and only the DHC-3

BryanK
OOM with the DHC-3, and only the DHC-3

Post by BryanK » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:23 pm

While I fully understand this issue is propably due to my "older" system and that it's nothing to do with the Otter, I figure it might be still worth a shot to at least ask around the forum.

I love the Otter. And the few flights I've been able to complete with it (mostly in virtual Alaska) have been some of the most immersive FSX flights I had in a very long time.

However... in my entire quite well stocked virtual hanger, the MV DHC-3 is the only one that brings up OOM crashes. The situation might occur early on (still on tarmac), in midflight, and sometimes in approach. Needless to say, it always brings me down when I start hearing the "ping" noise in the background.

In pc terminology, my system is "old" but as been keeping up in all those years (rarely dips below my locked 30 fps) in FSX.

Win 7 64, i7/940, 6gb Ram, GTX 580.

I am not asking for a cure, but maybe if any other "oldies" like me might have some tips. I sooo much want to get the Turbo Otter, but the OOM issue is of course holding me back.

With thanks,

Bryan K., aka HercFan

Krazycolin
Site Admin
Re: OOM with the DHC-3, and only the DHC-3

Post by Krazycolin » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:44 pm

You can lower the resolution of some of the texture files. That might help.

BryanK

Post by BryanK » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:42 pm

Thanks. I am (finally) home all day today and with only one goal: getting to the bottom of this!

wgsheridan

Post by wgsheridan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi Bryan,

I too run FSX on a somewhat old system, but with care (while monitoring VAS usage on FSUIPC) I am generally able to use resource intense addon aircraft such without too many OOMs. Two things in particular seem to help me achieve that:

One of the tricks is keeping the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD setting to in the Graphics section of your fsx.cfg fairly low. Mine is set permanently at 1024 and the textures of the Otter (inside and out) still look amazing! If yours is set at a higher level than that, then lowering it might regain as much as 100-200MB of VAS. If that isn't enough you could lower the value to 512 to release more VAS memory and the appearance might still be acceptable but you would have to test that yourself.

The second useful thing you could try to reduce your VAS usage is a scenery configurator to enable you to deactivate scenery you are not using. I use the payware utility SimStarter NG which has both a scenery and simulator configurator and I find it very good but I think there are also freeware scenery configurators out there. SimStarter NG takes a little while to set up initially but for me it was very much worth the effort and using appropriate scenery/simulator configurations for the aircraft in question and the type of flying I am planning has enabled me to generally avoid those annoying OOMs!

Bill

Return to “DHC-3 Otter Support Forum”