Strange autopilot behaviour with F1 GTN

johan.pienaar
Strange autopilot behaviour with F1 GTN

Post by johan.pienaar » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:46 am

I noticed something strange with the AP.

Up to now I never used the flight planning functions on the GTN as I mostly hand fly the PC6 by hand or just used the Heading and Alt modes on the AP.

However I tried a Direct to function to an airport on the GTN 750 and made sure the GPS mode was active. I activated the AP but when I pressed the NAV button the plane turned completely off course instead of following the GPS line. I pressed the HDG button to recover but now the heading bug adjusted itself to follow the route on the GPS and I could not change it. The only way to get the normal heading behavior was to completely remove the route I created using the Direct To function.

I tried the same flight with the C310 (same AP and GTN 750) and it worked perfectly.

I upgraded to the latest version available on the forum but that did not solve the problem. I disabled Spad.next to see if that caused the problem but it did not make any difference.

Any suggestions

HvdH
Re: Strange autopilot behaviour with F1 GTN

Post by HvdH » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:17 pm

I have exactly the same problem, first the plane flies nicely in the direction of the red line on the GTN, then when it is almost there, it steers completely into the opposite direction.
Did find out what caused this since your post?

wfinch

Post by wfinch » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:25 am

I'm with you guys on this. The aircraft doesn't follow the magenta line on the 750 when you activate the AP. I wonder if you found a resolution?

Cheers

Warwick

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:33 pm

If using a GTN 750 it depends how it is configured. GPS and AUT modes must be active in the panel below the HSI.

wfinch

Post by wfinch » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:42 am

Thanks Steve,

It turns out it's the highly accurate modelling of the inbuilt Autopilot that got me! I thought I was turning it on by just pressing the button on my Saitek panel but didn't realise that it needs a LONG push!

Problem solved

Cheers

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:41 am

Yes, 2 seconds to be exact.

Return to “Pilatus PC-6 Support Forum”