PC 6 engine problem

adamskydive
PC 6 engine problem

Post by adamskydive » Thu May 06, 2021 4:42 pm

Good day

I just bought the Porter yesterday, it looks lovely, but as soon as im airborne, the engine quites with a loud bang!
I have kept an eye on the temps, torque etc and everything is as suggested in the manual. MVAMS says the engine is in good state.

I have found another topic with the same problems, but i dont see a fix. Can anyone help please?

Kind Regards

Slayer
Re: PC 6 engine problem

Post by Slayer » Fri May 07, 2021 2:02 pm

The problem the other poster had was related to FSUIPC5. Please make sure to reset the engine state in MVAMS/options prior to a flight. Also be careful about hot starts and being too aggressive with the throttle.

adamskydive

Post by adamskydive » Fri May 07, 2021 4:08 pm

God day.
I have read the manual en printed it out.
All levers are in required positions as explained in the manual, but I have noticed that the temperature goes into the red for a few seconds when I start. I am not sure if that is why I get the engine "blow up" when i get airborne. I do advance the power little by little and is carefull the keep everything in the green.
MVAMS is also reset before I start the sim.

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Sat May 08, 2021 1:09 pm

The temperature going into the red on startup is called a "hot start" and will damage the engine. Let the engine spool up and stabilize before introducing fuel

adamskydive

Post by adamskydive » Wed May 12, 2021 2:36 pm

Hi Steve
Thank you, it seems the start problem is now solved...
but now - about 10 minutes into the flight, I get the same dreaded "bang" , all temps in the green, pressure and RPM within limits.
Any idea as to the problem?

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Wed May 12, 2021 9:52 pm

A couple of things can cause this:

1) Axis spikes on hardware controllers causing it to temporarily push the engine too hard

2) Changing time / moving aircraft after flight has been started can cause accelerated wear.

Return to “Pilatus PC-6 (FSX) Support Forum”