Crazy Pitching in FLC mode

Emi
Re: Crazy Pitching in FLC mode

Post by Emi » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:26 pm

Thanks Tomas, I have this in mind. However while VNAV is an excellent tool to get you where you want to go it is not always appropriate for the situation.

Today for instance ATC had something different in mind and kept me high on profile so VNAV quickly became useless. They then asked me to descend at 200kt IAS. I initially used V/S as advised by you but quickly found that my speed often drifted away. As it was quite a busy evening on VATSIM at a big event with traffic 3NM ahead and behind I wanted to be sure not to accidentally loose track of my speed and thus used FLC.

I'll keep you updated on further attempts in the coming days.

matpietsch

Post by matpietsch » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:51 pm

I also have the most recent version installed and the FLC problem persists. As it does in the Kingair :(

Emi

Post by Emi » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:55 pm

I might have been a bit too optimistic. It did happen again today.
Speed was stable, started a turn on a SID at about FL150 from direct crosswind into straight tailwind and about haflway through the turn it first aggressively pitched up, then down and once passing 0° Pitch the AP flew out.

Emi

Post by Emi » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:27 am

And here we go again, today it's been very, very, very annoying once again as it didn't just happen once, but ALL THE TIME when i engaged the AP, down to a point where I had to close the simulator as the AP simply wouldn't fly the airplane.
https://youtu.be/IcK0KDPLdr4

Please fix this ASAP or consider refunding your customers. This is REALLY getting annoying now.

Taguilo

Post by Taguilo » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:02 pm

Thanks for the video. I now had a chance to see what you were doing.
The point is, you were flying MANUALLY in FLC mode, and the issue happened when you engaged the AP already being in FLC but probably out of trim ( you were keeping the attitude with yoke input). In this case, it seems the AP tried to aggresively correct the trim and that should have been the cause for the pitch down. I was able to duplicate it. I also made a test flying manually in FLC but with a proper trim and AP engaged normally.
All this said, I will add controls for such out of trim situations, so expect them for the SP.
Meanwhile, if you like to manually fly in FLC, first ensure your trim is right before engaging the AP. That should hep.

Thanks again!
Tomas

matpietsch

Post by matpietsch » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:54 pm

No it is not. It also happens when you are in autopilot und change the speed. Never happens on the king air before v5.

Please stop dodging the issue.

Emi

Post by Emi » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:13 pm

Hi Tomas,

it happens as well when you're in trim. The AP overreacting on the trim might be a good indicator as to why it happens, however it can also fly itself into the same situation while in trim. For example at 0:35 I'm most certainly in trim while I engage the AP.
Infact it can happen when you transit from another mode into FLC all the way with the AP engaged.

Taguilo

Post by Taguilo » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:15 am

Hi Emi,

Well, you are not in a stable situation. You are losing speed before engaging the AP, so trim must not be ok, you are keeping the high pitch attitude (above 4000 fps if I see correct) with yoke (elevator) input only. A stable climb in manual FLC mode should be with speed almost constant and very little (or no) elevator input.
I believe adding an extra damping control for both excesive delta trim and delta speed should help a lot in this and other similar situations.

Tomas

Emi

Post by Emi » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:58 am

Hi Tomas,

did you watch a different video than me? In all situations there I'm flying with the control column released and no significant movement of the nose of the airplane.
That's what we call a trimmed airplane in the airline I fly for.
There is no elevator input at all in any of those situations where the AP is engaged in the video. None.
Anyway, let's see what your fix is going to change. Please, may I ask you to release it as hotfix very soon? This issue is more than annoying and looking at the update history of the King Air I have a feeling it might take months until we see it otherwise......

Emi

Post by Emi » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:48 am

One more, this time I was in V/S mode with the engaged previously, changed to FLC and down we go:
https://youtu.be/CmzE6OscmRg

This shall be the ultimate proof that this issue is not about not being in trim when engaging FLC.

Taguilo

Post by Taguilo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:51 pm

That one is another issue I've already checked and fixed, not the trim one. It is related on how the real aircraft performs when entering cloud layers. Unfortunately doesn't fit well for FLC mode and real wx addons like AS, or even P3D moderate to severe conditions.
No need to post more videos, info is enough. Thanks!.

Tomas

Emi

Post by Emi » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:17 pm

Thanks again Tomas, looking forward to the update!

Emi

Post by Emi » Sat May 08, 2021 2:08 pm

Still seeing this happening in the latest update - though not as often.
Now it mostly happens after the AP was engaged already for quite some time.

Return to “180 EVO Support Forum”