How to decellerate on approach?

Emi
How to decellerate on approach?

Post by Emi » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:53 pm

Something that bugs me on all my flights so far. When I pull the thrust levers into IDLE I get the landing gear warning horn which I do not want to sound.
However if I keep my thrust just above the position where the warning activates it's basically impossible to slow below approx 180kt and very hard to slow below 200kt.
What's the proper technique to slow the airplane down for approach?
And can I somehow cancel the landing gear warning horn? I haven't found a button for it yet, nor does the manual reference one.

Taguilo
Re: How to decellerate on approach?

Post by Taguilo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:07 pm

Hi Emi,

It is totally normal to reduce power into IDLE or maintain ~ 20 % Torque in descents. This will trigger the LG warning horn, but pilots immediately cancels it by pusshing the LG Warn cancel. You can press the Brakes key in your keyboard (usually . key) or BRAKES button assigned in your joystick to stop the alarm.

Tomas

Emi

Post by Emi » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:21 pm

Ahh, that's very good to know! You just made my approaches a LOT easier Tomas!

JPL19

Post by JPL19 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:34 am

Taguilo wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:07 pm
Hi Emi,

It is totally normal to reduce power into IDLE or maintain ~ 20 % Torque in descents. This will trigger the LG warning horn, but pilots immediately cancels it by pusshing the LG Warn cancel. You can press the Brakes key in your keyboard (usually . key) or BRAKES button assigned in your joystick to stop the alarm.

Tomas
Didn't know about the brakes key trick - thanks!

BTW the button on the right throttle also works for me - that is how it is on the RW aircraft as well just not mentioned in the manual (the tool tip calls it GA just like the left - left is is the GA button, right is gear warning cancel). It is hard to get to the button so this tip helps.

Joe

Emi

Post by Emi » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:21 pm

Thanks a lot Joe, I didn't know this yet! Is there any shortcut or any way to map this button to my joystick using FSUIPC? Same question of course goes for the TOGA button as well.

All I found was the LVARs name in the manuals but since I'm not using LINDA I don't know how to assign it.
Maybe it would be handy to get the ability to assign those through MVAMS2, similar to the PL21 buttons?

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:30 pm

I'm pretty sure the TOGA button is the same as default p3d mapping.

matpietsch

Post by matpietsch » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:35 pm

Actually it is the same on the king air. Brake button is you best friend here ;).

Return to “180 EVO Support Forum”